Luka and the Fire of Life

by Salman Rushdie | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingTarnawing of Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on 5/29/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingTarnawing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, May 29, 2015
First published in Great Britain 2010 by Jonathan Cape. London : Vintage 2011. Paperback, 216 pages.
Cover illustration © Benjamin Tobitt.

Back cover:
IMAGINE
you are Luka, a twelve-year-old boy who has to save the life of the storyteller father you adore.
IMAGINE
you have two loyal companions by your side: a bear called Dog who can sing and a dog called Bear who can dance.
IMAGINE
you must now embark on a journey through the Magic World to steal the Fire of Life, a seemingly impossible and exceedingly dangerous task...
'A beautiful book... It's like a bridge,
built between generations, fabulous and strange and from the heart'
NEIL GAIMAN
'Startlingly beautiful...an eloquent example of the games a fine storyteller can play'
INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY

About the author:
Slaman Rushdie is the author of ten previous novels, one collection of short stories, three works of non-fiction and the co-editor of The Vintage Book of Indian Writing. In 2008 Midnight's Children was judged to be the Best of the Booker, the best novel to have won the Booker Prize I its forty-year history.The Moor's Last Sigh won the Whitbread Prize in 1995 and the European Union's Aristeion Prize for Literature in 1996. He is a Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres and was knighted in 1997 for services to literature.

Salman Rushdie at British Council Literature
Salman Rushdie at Wikipedia
Salman Rushdie, the Official Website
Luka and the Fire of Life at Wikipedia

Journal Entry 2 by wingTarnawing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
I've got two or three Salman Rushdie books in my shelf but this one was the first I actually read. I expected so much — too much probably — from him. It's quite an interesting story and the language is, well, good, but yet I fell disappointed. I expected the language to be absolutely gorgeous, to have some poetic sparkle or something. It didn't. Admittedly, I often have a problem with Indian literature. I often find it a bit too dull. So, Luka and the Fire of Life did not touch me but I think the problem lies with me, not the book. I hope the next reader (whoever they'll be) enjoys it more.
This book is reserved as my January One book a month.

Edited, on Jan. 31, to add that this book is now reserved for BigJohnLefty.

Journal Entry 3 by wingTarnawing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 12, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (2/12/2016 UTC) at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Took quite a while before I mailed this book but I haven't been well or at home. Today I visited my books and took this one to the mailbox. Now Luka and the Fire of Life is supposed to have started its journey.
Happy Reading, BigJohn Lefty!

Journal Entry 4 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Got this in the mail yesterday from Tarna as a RABCK.

Thank you very much!