Idea Man: A Memoir by the Co-Founder of Microsoft

by paul allen | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 0241953715 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 5/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, May 17, 2015
I picked up 2 of these by mistake - a hardback and a paperback - obviously something I need to read! All about Paul Allen, the other co-founder of Microsoft (not Bill Gates). Not wanting to overstate it, '[He]...literally invented the twenty-first century.'

June'15 - I'm halfway through this, and will release the s/b and finish and keep the h/b.

(21/06/15) I can forgive Paul Allen for being a better technologist than he is a writer. I can almost forgive him for his part in the Microsoft dominance of the world – I think enough time has passed now to put it all into perspective? But, I can’t forgive the awful second half of this book!

It all started so well, the fascinating story of how 2 super-nerds, Allen and Gates (William Gates III), ‘invented’ programming languages for PC hobbyists (Altair Basic), created the operating system (PC-DOS/MS-DOS) that powered the first truly usable microcomputers, and went on to dominate most areas of software that they chose to move into. But after his health-scare and leaving the cash-cow business to Gates in 1983 it all goes a bit weird.

After 8 years of Microsoft we are subjected to 27 years about Allen and his various ‘ideas’, hobbies, philanthropic undertakings and business ventures. It’s all too ‘me, me, me’, self-congratulatory and disjointed for my liking, sorry :(

Released 4 yrs ago (6/13/2015 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I'm taking this along to tomorrow's Ipswich meet-up, my first for a few months. Looking forward to seeing everyone and sharing stuff :)

If you find this book, welcome to bookcrossing. Please read, journal and pass on...

Journal Entry 3 by Niksoki at Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, June 14, 2015
I am going to give this a go. This type of book I tend to love or hate, so will either quickly read or quickly discard.

Journal Entry 4 by Niksoki at Barn Cafe in Hasketon, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/20/2017 UTC) at Barn Cafe in Hasketon, Suffolk United Kingdom

Not going to get round to reading this, so left at the Barn Cafe in Hasketon for someone else to enjoy.