The Descent

by Jeff Long | Horror |
ISBN: 051513175x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/2/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 02, 2015
I got this fair-condition paperback from Better World Books. The plot summary intrigued me, dealing with a Himalayan climber who discovers a bizarre body covered with apparently self-inflicted writing and imagery - and which leads to an entire subterranean world whose existence might explain a lot of myths about demons...

Later: The story begins very effectively, with the discovery of the strange corpse, the distraction and separation of the party - and the revelation that they aren't alone in this mountain, and are in fact being actively hunted. The story expands its scope and we find that these underground dwellers are apparently mounting concerted attacks worldwide - which results in a backlash and a major war between surface and subterraneans. Any part of this could be a novel in itself, but this story isn't finished yet - no, we find ourselves in a world where big business is setting up camp in the underworld, for better access to valuable minerals and fuels, now that the "demon" menace has been thwarted. Or has it?

Eventually all the story-threads come together in a major expedition below ground, with one public purpose and some very different secret ones. I thought that the later parts of the book played more fast and loose with physical possibilities than the earlier segments did (though given the whole "world below" concept I suppose I shouldn't quibble), and it was increasingly difficult to find any character who wasn't painfully flawed, yet the whole setup was compelling enough to keep me interested to the end of the story.

Note: There's a lot of violence, some of it insanely cruel and grisly; in fact one key element of the plot is the way that the underground dwellers have incorporated these cruel methods of marking and keeping control of captives into their everyday culture, as we might put a collar on a pet. If there were any possibility of a diplomatic solution to this clash of cultures, it's thwarted early on by actions on both sides, but it did remind me of other, real-world culture clashes. Sometimes "valuing differences" is awfully hard to do!

[There's a TV Tropes page on the book. It'd be interesting to see a film adaptation, but the actual film called The Descent, while dealing with cavers who discover deadly creatures, isn't otherwise related to this novel.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, July 03, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (7/3/2015 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Otherworldly bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon!

*** Released for the 2015 Allergic to A challenge. ***

*** Released for the 2015 Be SENSible release challenge, for the embedded "scent" in the title. ***

Journal Entry 3 by BooksnBeer at Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Selected this one from the OtherWorldly Bookbox. The splunking angle is interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, February 11, 2019
Safe with me, Thank you Booknbeer

Journal Entry 5 by Vilda at Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Sunday, May 05, 2019
My husband gave it a go and found it to be one of the worst stories he has read. On top of that there are unfinished chapters and parts of chapters inserted where they don't belong. That part could be exciting to sort out but still I chose to pass on this one. Thank you for the opportunity. I will release it in the wild and hope it finds itself a reader who appreciates it.

Released 2 wks ago (5/11/2019 UTC) at M/S Isabella in Viking Line, -- Ruotsi laivalla / Finlands färjan -- Finland

Welcome to Boolkcrossing!

Bookcrossing is a free, World wide gathering of book lovers and you just found yourself a free book. You can become a member or stay Anonymous.

I would love for you to write something about how you fond the book and after you read it what you thought of it and what you are planning to do with it. Keep it? Release it again? The choice is yours!