Winter Garden

by Kristin Hannah | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by dabercro of Clinton, Utah USA on 5/1/2015
Journal Entry 1 by dabercro from Clinton, Utah USA on Friday, May 1, 2015
From the back of the book..."Meredith and Nina Whitson are as different as sisters can be. One stayed at home to raise her children and manage the family business; the other followed a dream and traveled the world. But when their beloved father falls ill, these two estranged sisters will find themselves together again, standing alongside their icy and enigmatic mother, Anya, who even now offers no comfort to her daughters. On his deathbed, their father extracts a promise of his wife: Anya will tell her daughters a story; it is a fairy tale she began years ago and never finished. This time she will tell it all the way to the end."

The "fairy tale" that Anya tells is really her story. I enjoyed the unfolding of Anya's story. I felt that the mother's willingness to finally tell her daughter's her entire story and her complete change of character was contrived to move the book along. Overall, I found the book hard to put down.

Journal Entry 2 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Reserved for the General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Not chosen so removing from the General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by dabercro at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Released 4 yrs ago (2/26/2018 UTC) at Virtual Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Chosen from the VBB. Sent to rhythmbiscuit in CO.

Journal Entry 5 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Released 3 yrs ago (1/13/2020 UTC) at Northglenn, Colorado USA

I released this book as part of the First Sentences Wrap It Up Bookbox.

“On the banks of the mighty Columbia River, in this icy season when every breath became visible, the orchard called Belye Nochi was quiet.”

Journal Entry 6 by bamaforever at Clanton, Alabama USA on Friday, January 24, 2020
Choosing this from the First Sentence Wrap It Up Bookbox. Thinking I may have this one already, but am not sure.

Released 2 yrs ago (1/19/2021 UTC) at Valentine's Day Exchange , A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I'm a very special book. I'm traveling the world in search of new friends. I hope I have found one in you. If you are my new owner please make a brief journal entry with my BCID number. You can read and release me for a new friend to read or keep me. It's your choice!

If you are new to bookcrossing and want to join please consider listing bamaforever as your referral. Welcome to bookcrossing!

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, February 12, 2021
Thank you so much, Valentine Pal, for this wishlist book. I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, November 7, 2022
I read this in October, but with hurricane Ian, I just did not journal.

I wanted to love this story, but I just didn’t. The fact that the mother kept this secret until her husband was dead and the girls were around 40 makes no sense. The sisters’ relationship also didn’t ring true to me. The one daughter works so hard that she can’t take time off for her husband, yet all of a sudden she takes off to be with her mother and her sister and to go on a cruise. Nothing was stated about whether she handed over the business to someone else to run. The story is resolved too contrived and the ending was rushed and predictable.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Released 2 mos ago (11/8/2022 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! A surprise Wishlist RABCK for KTM and E-less release challenges 2022 -- e-less author

Journal Entry 11 by missprisy at Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, November 10, 2022
Received in the mail today. Thank you booklady331!