One for the Road: Revised Edition

by Tony Horwitz | Travel |
Registered by freezone of Boston, Massachusetts USA on 4/28/2015
Journal Entry 1 by freezone from Boston, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015
Welcome to Bookcrossing! Enjoy your new book.

Journal Entry 2 by freezone at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, November 18, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (11/18/2017 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

being sent off in Ollie's surprise bookbox #2

Journal Entry 3 by BookLovinMama at Arnold, Missouri USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Tony recently settled in Sydney with his new Australian bride. He easily settles into life as a reporter at a local newspaper. As his friends travel to Bali and other places, he has a desire to travel into the outback which he must share with his wife as he wants to hitchhike to experience his newly adopted country...without her.

With just his backpack, he heads out. He shares that when he was younger he hitchhiked in the United States. However, this experience differs significantly, which I believe surprises him more than he realizes.

We join him as he ventures through the outback and interacts with the local population. He shares the history that he knows of the locations he's visiting which help us understand some of the situations he finds himself in. He is open to new experiences and new people, which make his journey possible.

One of my favorite parts was the story of finding a Jewish family in Broome to celebrate Passover with. It shows that those in Broome were welcoming to this stranger and went out of their way to help him find a place to belong.

Tony's writing style makes me feel like I am on the journey with him. I can feel the 100 degree heat on my neck. I can taste and smell the beer, meals and just the overall environment. I felt seasick when he was on the fishing boat.

As I have a desire to visit a friend who moved to Australia a few years ago, I feel like I have a better understanding of the environment they have relocated to.

Journal Entry 4 by BookLovinMama at Caleres Refresh Break Room in Clayton, Missouri USA on Friday, November 01, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (11/1/2019 UTC) at Caleres Refresh Break Room in Clayton, Missouri USA

Passing along a few books that we've read for someone else to enjoy, especially as the cold has come much quicker this year!