At Hell's Gate: A Soldier's Journey from War to Peace

by CLAUDE ANSHIN THOMAS | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by SydneyBristow on 2/22/2020
Journal Entry 1 by SydneyBristow on Saturday, February 22, 2020
In this raw and moving memoir, Claude Thomas describes his service in Vietnam, his subsequent emotional collapse, and his remarkable journey toward healing. At Hell's Gate is not only a gripping coming-of-age story but a spiritual travelogue from the horrors of combat to the discovery of inner peace—a journey that inspired Thomas to become a Zen monk and peace activist who travels to war-scarred regions around the world. "Everyone has their Vietnam," Thomas writes. "Everyone has their own experience of violence, calamity, or trauma." With simplicity and power, this book offers timeless teachings on how we can all find healing, and it presents practical guidance on how mindfulness and compassion can transform our lives.

Journal Entry 2 by SydneyBristow at Semkye Ling in Schneverdingen, Niedersachsen Germany on Saturday, February 22, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (2/22/2020 UTC) at Semkye Ling in Schneverdingen, Niedersachsen Germany

In this blunt, open testimony of his life, Claude AnShin Thomas succeeds to touch and describe the depth of his suffering. The transformation and power that comes from it are impressive and inspiring to me as a reader of this story.
The author extends a hand to his reader: the possibility to touch one's own suffering in life, if we are willing to live differently. I am grateful for this book and would recommend it to everyone.