Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

by fannie flagg | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Mary-T of Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 4/21/2015
Journal Entry 1 by Mary-T from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Abstract:
"Folksy and fresh, endearing and affecting, Gried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is the now-classic novel of two women in the 1980s: of gray-headed Mrs. Threadgoode telling her life story to Evelyn, who is in the sad slump of middle age. The tale she tells is also of two women - of the irrepressibly daredevilish tomboy Idgie and her friend Ruth - who back in the thirties ran a little place in Whistle Stop, Alabama, a Southern kind of Cafe Wobegon offering good barbecue and good coffee and all kinds of love and laughter, even an occasional murder. And as the past unfolds, the present - for Evelyn and for us - will never be quite the same again...."

I saw this on the wishlist of a kind Bookcrosser sending me great picture books for my little tiger...

Enjoy Reading! I hope you like the book as much as I did when I read it man years agao! :o)

Journal Entry 2 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, July 23, 2015
Thank you so much Mary-T for this awesome surprise RABCK! I've wanted to read it for years. I shall read and release it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 3 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, February 09, 2018
What an amazing story. I simply didn’t want to put it down. Evelyn and Ninny meet by chance in the present and by delving into Ninny’s past form a beautiful friendship. This is a story of friendships, community, life in a small town and personal discovery. I love the way friendships binds the pairs of female friends - past and present - and how that friendship changes and enhances their lives. There are a whole cast of brilliant, gorgeous and mysterious characters - I loved them all! It’s rare to find a book with such, feisty, strong, independent women. Plenty of mystery, intrigue and laughs to keep me hooked throughout this very entertaining read. It wasn’t all laughs and jokes however, there were many things that upset me, like the reminders of how Black People were treated then (and it was considered normal at that time) and the harsh life of a Hobo in the depression era. The author found a clever way of telling the story in little snippets of conversation, newspaper articles and trips through time. There were a few little continuity errors which had me puzzled, but didn’t really spoil my enjoyment. Wish I could have gone visiting with Ninny too!

I found this little sentence on page 350 so true.

“The ones that hurt the most always say the least.”

Journal Entry 4 by Shahrun at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, February 19, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (2/19/2018 UTC) at Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom

Packing up tonight to post to a fellow BookCrosser (tomorrow) who is in Greece! Safe travels little books. Hope you delight and amaze your new reader(s), just like you did me!

Journal Entry 5 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Tuesday, March 06, 2018
I was delighted to receive a package with books -including this one- from dear Shahrun! Looking forward to reading it! I've seen the movie but I am sure I will enjoy the book more.

Journal Entry 6 by vassilka at Larissa / Λάρισα, Larisa Greece on Friday, August 17, 2018
I read the book months ago but forgot to post a review. Now the time has come to release it and I want to do all the steps properly.
I am afraid I am not as enthousiastic as the previous readers. I read it easily but the story won't stick with me as it happens with other books. It was the same feeling with the movie which I saw a long time ago. Although the whole idea of the story was great somehow I wasn't thrilled. However I was happy I had the chance to read it. Thank you dear Shahrun for sending it to me and Mary-T for making this book's travelling possible!

Journal Entry 7 by vassilka at Vaporia in Syros - Σύρος, Cyclades Greece on Friday, August 17, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/17/2018 UTC) at Vaporia in Syros - Σύρος, Cyclades Greece

It was released during my vacation on Syros island. I left it on the steps that lead to "asteria" beach. When I had a look a couple of hours later it was gone! Happy reading to the one that caught it. I hope he/she will make a journal entry and help this book to continue its journey.