The Tiger's Wife

by Tea Obreht | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingkeeta1wing of Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on 4/11/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingkeeta1wing from Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, April 11, 2015
Product description
Winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction 2011! 'Having sifted through everything I have heard about the tiger and his wife, I can tell you that this much is fact: in April of 1941, without declaration or warning, the German bombs started falling over the city and did not stop for three days. The tiger did not know that they were bombs...' A tiger escapes from the local zoo, padding through the ruined streets and onwards, to a ridge above the Balkan village of Galina. His nocturnal visits hold the villagers in a terrified thrall. But for one boy, the tiger is a thing of magic - Shere Khan awoken from the pages of The Jungle Book. Natalia is the granddaughter of that boy. Now a doctor, she is visiting orphanages after another war has devastated the Balkans. On this journey, she receives word of her beloved grandfather's death, far from their home, in circumstances shrouded in mystery. From fragments of stories her grandfather told her as a child, Natalia realises he may have died searching for 'the deathless man', a vagabond who was said to be immortal. Struggling to understand why a man of science would undertake such a quest, she stumbles upon a clue that will lead her to a tattered copy of The Jungle Book, and then to the extraordinary story of the tiger's wife.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, June 20, 2015
I enjoyed this book, although I found it a bit difficult to follow at times, as the author is inclined to go off at a tangent every now and then. Very well written.

Reserved for tabby-cat owner.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (6/30/2015 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to tabby-cat owner as part of the 2nd Round Debut Novel VBB hosted by J4shaw.

Journal Entry 4 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, July 07, 2015
I received this book in the mail from keeta1 of Howick, New Zealand as part of the 2nd Round Debut Novel VBB hosted by J4shaw.

Thank you so much for this book, keeta1. It brings to mind a book I recently read, "The Zookeeper's Wife".

Journal Entry 5 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017
I've been reading this book and it is a revelation to read about life in the former Yugoslavia post-war and creation of numerous small nations that currently exist. The author does not make it clear what country the protagonist lives in but she travels to neighboring nations and mentions former years when the two or more nations were one country. I suppose I could figure out what nations are featured in this book by googling the names of towns and cities whose names I don't recognize.

It is quite an unusual story combining realistic life in the former Yugoslavia and folklore which is treated as true but quite unbelievable, for example, the man who does not die but comes back to life after being repeatedly killed. Also, I was disgusted with the cruel peasant mob-mentality in which the peasants seem to be uneducated and unprincipled characters from past-centuries (like the Dark Ages) and the story is actually taking place in the 20th century around the time of World War II.

Journal Entry 6 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017
This book has been donated to the ABC VBB organized by booklady331.

Journal Entry 7 by tabby-cat-owner at Virtual bookbox, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 19, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (10/20/2018 UTC) at Virtual bookbox, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book has been mailed to shroffland of Snelling, Georgia who requested it from the abc vbb.

Journal Entry 8 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 25, 2018
Arrived in today’s mail; thank you!