Geisha of Gion: The True Story of Japan's Foremost Geisha: The Memoir of Mineko Iwasaki

by Mineko Iwasaki | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 074343059X Global Overview for this book
Registered by miss_malihini of Ratingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 4/9/2015
Journal Entry 1 by miss_malihini from Ratingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, April 9, 2015
'I can identify the exact moment when things began to change. It was a cold winter afternoon. I had just turned three.'
Emerging shyly from her hiding place, Mineko encounters Madam Oima, the formidable proprietress of a prolific geisha house in Gion. Madam Oima is mesmerized by the child's black hair and black eyes: she has found her successor. And so Mineko is gently, but firmly, prised away from her parents to embark on an extraordinary career, of which she will become the best. But even if you are exquisitely beautiful and the darling of the okiya, the life of a geisha is one of gruelling professional demands. And Mineko must first contend with her bitterly jealous sister who is determined to sabotage her success . . .
Captivating and poignant, GEISHA OF GION tells of Mineko's ascendancy to fame and her ultimate decision to leave the profession she found so constricting. After centuries of mystery Mineko is the only geisha to speak out. This true story she has long wanted to tell and the one that the West has long wanted to hear.

Released 7 yrs ago (4/11/2015 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2015 in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

I got this book from somebody who wanted to throw it away. I could not let this happen.
As I have too many book on my tbr pile I better let this one go.
We are off to Oxford for the Bookcrossing Convention!

Journal Entry 3 by JemmaJ at Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 11, 2015
Grabbed from the Book Buffet here at the Convention...

Journal Entry 4 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 12, 2019
Placed on the Book Buffet at Northampton UnCon

Journal Entry 5 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, October 12, 2019
Picked up from the book table.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, July 1, 2021
Very interesting book detailing the life of a geisha (or rather, geiko) and the years of training. However, the author did come across as rather smug and self-satisfied, and I could have done with a glossary to remind me of the Japanese terms used.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, August 5, 2021

Released 1 yr ago (8/5/2021 UTC) at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom

Going in Poodlesister's UK non-fiction book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, August 26, 2021
Taken out of the UK non fiction book box as when I added my books in , it was over 2kg so I had to " rescue" another one.

Journal Entry 9 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, August 26, 2021

Journal Entry 10 by wingkinediwing at Sea front in Filey, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 18, 2022

Released 1 mo ago (8/19/2022 UTC) at Sea front in Filey, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Filey, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 21, 2022
I found this book in filey while on a camping holiday ... I am a keen reader & I think this is such a great idea ! I look forward to reading 🙂