Alex & Me: How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence--and Formed a Deep Bond in the Process

by Irene Pepperberg | Pets & Animals | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 4/9/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, April 09, 2015
Reserved for JennyC1230 Bio VBB

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, July 31, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (8/3/2015 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! RABCK to 6of8

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 11, 2015
This book was waiting for me when I returned from a quick trip to New Jersey. It is being added to Mt TBR for now.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, July 17, 2017
A fascinating exploration of animal intelligence and the roots of language and learning. My neighbors were telling me about a friend of theirs who has an African grey parrot that plays video games. It spurred me to pull this book off of Mt TBR. Dr. Pepperberg is a driven woman who went from a PhD in theoretical chemistry (which I had not heard of before) to doing biological research into animal intelligence. She selects as her partner an African grey named Alex and begins to break all the rules about the what non-human animals can do. He learns labels for objects and colors and numbers and even grasps relative quantity despite not having been taughg to count or the order of numbers. He was engaged in experiments regarding optical illusions and visual perception at the time of his sudden death. I got a kick out of Alex's sense of humor (although Pepperberg is a dedicated scientist and doesn't use that term) and his crsativity -- "banerry." It makes perfect sense to me that birds like Alex are intelligent and have emotions, so I appreciated the chapter at the end which explained why science requires proof of that.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (10/29/2017 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is going into the Wild Things Shrinking Book Box. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 6 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 03, 2017
The people I know who have read this book found it very moving. I read an excerpt in the New Yorker (IIRC) and it was excellent. very well reviewed, too. so, enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, January 30, 2018
I chose this book from the Wild Animal Book Box by erishkigal. It looks really interesting and I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 8 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Friday, February 01, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (2/1/2019 UTC) at Sugar Land, Texas USA

I am sending this off to erishkigal who chose it from the Non Fiction VBB. It's not one that I had time to read, but it does look interesting. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, April 08, 2019
Oh, damn. I didn’t realize till just now that I had failed to journal when you sent this readertoo. I’m sorry (said with more regret than when Alex said it 😉). I’m sorry open wanna go back ~ haha. At least, I’m glad it didn’t sit on the shelf for a year or two before I read it.

6 did such a good job of what is in the book, I won’t reiterate. So you just get my thoughts/feelings.

First of all, I absolutely loved this book ~ to the point it was hard to put down to go to work! Well I often feel like that with a good novel in hand, I do not usually get so wrapped up in non-fiction. Being the animal person I am, I bawled this morning when I reached Alex‘s death. Sure, I knew it was coming, I knew from the start of the book that he died young and unexpectedly, But it didn’t matter. I still cried. Fess up, surely someone else at least got teary too.

For those fascinated by intelligence research and birds, I want to recommend Bernd Heinrich’s
Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds (Pepperberg mentioned his work, though not the book, as hers predates his considerably).

I’m going to set this aside and what has become a huge stack of books for the next Wild Things bookbox.

And lastly, thank you readertoo not only for sending me this wonderful book, but also for the gorgeous postcard of San Antonio’s Riverwalk. I was there a few years ago and fell in love, hope to make it back one of these days.

Journal Entry 10 by freezone at Leominster, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, April 09, 2019
Though I have resisted reading this book (not sure exactly why), I do also recommend Bernd Heinrich's books on ravens and on the outdoors in general. He is a fascinating writer on nature and science (and the human experience.)

Journal Entry 11 by wingerishkigalwing at LFL Westminster & 1500 East in Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (10/20/2020 UTC) at LFL Westminster & 1500 East in Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Releasing in a brand new LFL just up the street from me !