If I Die in Juárez (Camino del Sol)

by Stella Pope Duarte | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 3/25/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Amazon Editorial Review

From the red-light districts in Ciudad Juárez to remote villages hidden away in the mountains of Chihuahua comes a tale of one of the darkest crimes to be recorded in the history of humankind. If I Die in Juárez traces the lives of three young women—Evita, a street child; Petra, a maquiladora worker; and Mayela, a Tarahumara Indian girl—who together uncover Juárez’s forbidden secret: the abduction and murder of young women. Bound together by blood, honor, an ancient chant, and a mysterious photo, the girls bring the murderous streets of Juárez to life.

Based on the author’s interviews with relatives of murdered women, If I Die in Juárez is brilliantly crafted to give readers the experience of walking in the shoes of women who daily risk being abducted and murdered in the “capital city of murdered women,” joining thousands of others who for more than a decade have disappeared from Juárez, las desaparecidas, brutally murdered by assassins who have gone unpunished. The agony of one of the darkest tales in human history brings to light a strange hope, illusive yet constant, resisting lies, betrayal, and the desert’s silent sentence of death.

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
Ms. Duarte's well written book tells the story of three young women that you can readily understand and relate to. Although these women are from a very different world than most of us in the USA their thoughts, insights, fears and hopes brought me back to my life as a young person. The book has three connected coming of age stories connected cleverly in the plot. The interconnected stories are fascinating; I didn't want to put the book down.

The book revolves around a very disturbing issue: the brutal murders of women in Juarez - femicide. It definitely makes you think about what women go through and how women are often viewed. I highly recommend this novel. It takes the reader into the minds and lives of three young women struggling for survival in the city of Juarez: a child living on the streets, a young woman from a rural community who finds work at an American factory, and an indigenous child who falls ill. These characters are aware of the dangers of being female and young in a city where hundreds of young women have been tortured and murdered, their bodies left to deteriorate in the sun. Their resilience is inspiring; their stories need to be told.

Reserved for Iwillrejoice's "I" title VBB