Gold: A Novel

by Chris Cleave | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 145167273X Global Overview for this book
Registered by mrsjones of Hamilton, Ohio USA on 3/18/2015
Journal Entry 1 by mrsjones from Hamilton, Ohio USA on Wednesday, March 18, 2015
I've had this on my wish list for a while, so was thrilled to find it at a used book sale. I must say, I cannot imagine for a moment the idea of putting your own athleticism ahead of your child's welfare. But I'm no athlete. I can't understand what drives people to push themselves so hard in the name of sports that they actually risk their own health. It's nutty to me. Like people who run and tear up their knees and feet all in the name of "health." You can see why this book stymied me.

But I was intrigued by the juxtaposition of these Olympic athletes pushing their bodies to extremes vs. the daughter with leukemia who was struggling against her own body to survive. It was interesting, but again, for me - no contest.

Zoe's character was completely unlikeable and that made much of the book lag. I was much more interested in Jack, Kate and Sophie.

Journal Entry 2 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Thursday, October 05, 2017
Sending to NancyNova as a wishlist tag. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, October 14, 2017
this rabck arrived. Thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, August 04, 2019
I have to admit I second MrsJones' sentiments in her review. Why do people behave the way they do?

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Harleysville, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, August 18, 2019
Although my sentiments about the book are in line with those previously shared, the author provides the reader with the opportunity to decide what price is too high of a price to pay just to win. Perhaps this would be insightful for those of a competitive nature.