Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions

by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by waternixie of Everett, Washington USA on 3/12/2015
Journal Entry 1 by waternixie from Everett, Washington USA on Thursday, March 12, 2015
More from the 3 bags of books given me by a tenant.

When I found out that Neil Gaiman was one of the authors who came out in favor of the Occupy protests a few years ago, I have to admit this dampened any desire I had to read him.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
I chose this book from the Wrap-It-Up Bookbox based on its first sentence: "They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate--"

I will either read and release it or make it available to continue along its journey.

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, September 04, 2016
I know that Gaiman is an extremely popular author, but somehow I always seem to be disappointed in his work. I found most of the stories and poems in this collection to be just okay. While reading several, I found myself flipping forward to see how long they were. Never a good sign.

There were a few pieces that I enjoyed: "Chivalry," "The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories," "Queen of Knives," and "One Life, Furnished in Early Moorcock." But overall this was a "meh" read for me.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, February 24, 2017
Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"In Neil Gaiman's richly imagined fiction, anything is possible. And the proof is in the telling in this extraordinary collection of short stories. Discover within these pages miraculous inventions and curious characters: an elderly widow who finds the Holy Grail tucked beneath an old fur coat in a thrift store, a terrified boy who barters for his life with a mean-spirited troll living beneath a bridge by the railroad tracks, a young couple who receives a wedding gift that gradually reveals a chilling alternative history of their marriage. Smoke and Mirrors will dazzle your senses, touch your heart -- and haunt your dreams."

Journal Entry 5 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Removing from the General Literature VBB and making available.

Released 1 yr ago (2/15/2018 UTC) at Wishlist tag game, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to book_drunkard as part of the wishlist tag game. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018
What a wonderful surprise that I received in the mail today.
Thank you, very much, for tagging me!

Journal Entry 8 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Monday, September 17, 2018
I enjoyed a couple of the stories in this book but most of them were a little too far out for my taste.

Journal Entry 9 by book_drunkard at Happy Halloween!, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 17, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (9/17/2018 UTC) at Happy Halloween!, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

A book from your wishlist.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, September 30, 2018
Received, thank you very much!

Journal Entry 11 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, October 30, 2018
Slated to be read this month

Journal Entry 12 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, November 19, 2018
Short stories by Neil Gaiman. I had this book on my wishlist, probably based on someone's review on Goodreads. Book-drunkard was kind enough to fulfill that wish. But the actual experience of reading the book wasn't great. The poetry was tedious, the stories, although short, seemed to drag on, the graphic scenes left me cold. The only thing I liked were his descriptions of L.A., I was amused.
Because this book was so popular and rated so well on Goodreads I am going to offer it in the Books I've Read VBB.

Journal Entry 13 by wingBooksandMusicwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Sunday, January 06, 2019
Selected in the Books I've Read VBB

Journal Entry 14 by rhythmbiscuit at Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, January 23, 2019
Thank you for sharing this book. I look forward to reading it.