Peeps

by Scott Westerfeld | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by alkaline-kiwi of Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on 2/19/2015
Journal Entry 1 by alkaline-kiwi from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, February 19, 2015
I really enjoyed this book and had this to say about it when I first read it:

I think this would be my favourite 'vampire' book that I have read.. possibly because it is and isn't a vampire book.. confused? I'll explain.
In this book becoming a vampire is caused by a parasite and it all sounds very scientific. The narrator character Cal is a carrier of this but without the nasty symptoms.
Every second chapter Cal explains about a different parasite and it is fascinating. Though also fairly icky at times as well. It is things like this that really set this book apart.

I generally don't seek out and read a lot of vampire related things but I think what attracted me to this was because it seems so different to what else is out there.

The companion book to this one (set during the same time, these characters cameo in it) is on my TBR and is about a band with peep members. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, April 19, 2015
Picked up at this morning's meetup.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, June 03, 2015
A nicely original take on vampires. Loved all the parasite lore scattered amongst the story (though I agree, alkaline-kiwi, it definitely got pretty unpleasant at times!)

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 4 by winggoldenwattlewing at Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, November 13, 2015
Picked up this book at the BC Unconvention dinner at The Birdcage, Auckland. I look forward to reading this. Thank you.

Journal Entry 5 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, December 24, 2015
I am pleased I picked this book up, as I really enjoyed it. Perhaps the parasite chapters didn't worry me as much as other readers, as I used to photograph parasites in lumps of meat. COOK your meat WELL I say; no 'fashionable' rare steaks. A disgusted, snobby chef is better than a still alive parasite.
A different take on vampires and a quick read. I actually wondered if a second book were planned, as the book gave me the feeling of that.
Thank you for bringing this book to the BC Unconvention in Auckland, and giving me the opportunity to read it.

I found 'interesting' editing in the book in places. The sex lines might be crossed out, but they still are readable:)

Journal Entry 6 by winggoldenwattlewing at Parkes, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, January 29, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/30/2016 UTC) at Parkes, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at the BC meet in the Old Parliament House café, Parkes, ACT. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 7 by beli-jg at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, January 31, 2016
Picked up at Canberra Bookcrossers monthly meet up at Old Parliament House cafe. Sorry, Golden Wattle I don't recall you asking about this book. Looking forward to reading it, as have read and enjoyed a number of books by Scott Westerfeld.