The Murder Bag

by Tony Parsons | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 3/30/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 30, 2015
Not been particularly enamoured with this authors work but the crime genre seems a new direction for him & I've heard good things about this book. Let's hope it meets my expectations!

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 07, 2017
While I quite enjoyed this, I must admit that on reading the prologue I had my doubts that I would. Why? Well it reminded me of a Simon Kernick "quick read" I'd read recently see here) & an entire book of that style wasn't something I was looking forward to. It didn't start of particularly credibly to my mind. I quote from page 2....
"The muscles in her legs were heavy slabs of pain. Nothing worked as it should. Nothing felt like it would ever work again" ...& ".....feeling torn skin on her elbows & kness as she dragged them across the basement floor, doing it again & again & again "
Okay, nothing wrong there, a good description of the girl's state but on page 4... '"Then she ran. How she ran. Flying up the stairs"....and on across the fields - great what a good burst of adrenaline can do eh?
I don't know why this annoyed me, perhaps it was the thought that this was going to be one of those books where things were acheived by assumptions & leaps of faith & I, the reader, would just have to accept it.

It wasn't the gritty, gripping tale the cover blurb promised - I was hoping for something on the lines of MacBride or Hayder - but this was nowhere near so dark. I'm guessing the Murder Museum was meant to bring some, gruesome history to the tale but for me it didn't really work nor did the murder bag add anything to the story in my opinion.

Despite all that negativity it was a reasonable, easy read. Wolfe was a likeable enough character & although I usually find cute kids irritating, Scout was rather endearing. While I won't be adding it to my must read crime list I'd be happy to read more in the series, I just won't be hunting them down!

My copy also included a short story "Dead Time", which initially really did read like one of the series of quick reads for struggling readers - no offence meant - however, it improved after chapter 1. Not a bad little extra.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Wish list book, Surprise Rabck -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/8/2017 UTC) at Wish list book, Surprise Rabck -- Controlled Releases

Hope you enjoy this!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbrunton11wing at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, February 13, 2017
Wow! Thank you plum-crazy for not 1 but 3 wishlist books and some BC goodies.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbrunton11wing at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 23, 2019
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would!

On its way to kingfan30 as part of the U.K. wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 6 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 06, 2019