An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

by Chris Hadfield | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingdark-dracowing of Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on 2/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingdark-dracowing from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Couldn't resist picking this up from the local supermarket - one more off the wishlist!

Journal Entry 2 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 13, 2016
I quite liked the premise of this book - the author, an astronaut, uses all his training and experiences doing one of the most extreme jobs in the world, to give the reader some lessons about how to cope with their own, more mundane, lives. And, on the whole, it completely lived up to this.

It's an immensely readable book - the style and the author's voice lead you on in a good way. Occasionally, he does repeat himself as he reiterates one of his messages, but that didn't bother me a lot.

I liked the idea of aiming to be a zero in life - you don't cause problems, you quickly and quietly get on with things, you deal with your side of things without bother - and in so doing will end up being a +1 - someone who adds benefits and makes everyone else's lives just a bit easier. I also loved that he advocates planning and visualising every thing that could happen in order to prevent it ... I do that all the time and while some people say I'm a worrier, I never seem to have to flap around in a crisis!

Some excellent photos - shame their wasn't more, but I was reading the paperback. I learnt a few things new about space travel and the ISS, and I have to say I think I would go if I got the chance!

However, the only niggle for me, and why it just stopped short of getting full marks, is the story of the snake in the plane. Although understandable, I don't like anything that smacks of animal cruelty and somehow my estimation of the author went slightly down from there.

Still, a great read and one I hope I'll remember for a while, with all it's little lessons and tricks for coping with life.

Journal Entry 3 by wingdark-dracowing at UK Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, January 16, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/16/2016 UTC) at UK Wishlist Tag, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sent to a fellow bookcrosser as part of the forum Wishlist Tag Game - hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, January 18, 2016
Thank you :) I'm looking forward to this very much.
Thanks also for the bookplates you included - they'll definitly come in useful :)

Journal Entry 5 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 04, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/4/2016 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

I enjoyed this very much - it's an easy read, but makes some interesting points about approaching life. Chris Hadfield came across as immensely likeable and just a really nice guy (maybe so nice that in real life it might get frustrating sometimes, even!). Thanks very much for sharing

I've passed this on to my boyfriend, once he's finished it we'l release it somewhere appropriate (seems a prime candidate for a space-y themed release!)

Journal Entry 6 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Passed to me at last night's London meet-up by Vekiki.
Thank you - one to cross off the wish list.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrahar109wing at Ash Vale, Surrey United Kingdom on Sunday, June 11, 2017
Interesting and enjoyable book, with some useful advice on how to approach life's challenges, derived from Hadfield's experiences as an astronaut. Also enjoyed the details about the training and trips into space.
Thank you for giving me this, Vekiki.

Journal Entry 8 by wingrahar109wing at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 16, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (9/23/2017 UTC) at BCUK UnConvention 2017 in Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom

On the book buffet.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 9 by abigailann at Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2017
Picked up off book buffet