Libriomancer: (Magic Ex Libris Book 1)

by Jim C. Hines | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 2/14/2015
Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015
I read this entire trilogy in the past week. It is rare for me to ever read a series back to back, but this one was just too fun not to! Love the premise of books being the source of magic, Isaac is a great main character and I want a fire spider, too!

Book Description from Indigo.ca:
Isaac Vainio is a Libriomancer, a member of the secret organization founded five centuries ago by Johannes Gutenberg. Libriomancers are gifted with the ability to magically reach into books and draw forth objects. When Isaac is attacked by vampires that leaked from the pages of books into our world, he barely manages to escape. To his horror he discovers that vampires have been attacking other magic-users as well, and Gutenberg has been kidnapped.

With the help of a motorcycle-riding dryad who packs a pair of oak cudgels, Isaac finds himself hunting the unknown dark power that has been manipulating humans and vampires alike. And his search will uncover dangerous secrets about Libriomancy, Gutenberg, and the history of magic. . . .

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this ridiculously fun fantasy to the Calgary Bookcrossing meeting to find a new reader.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, February 16, 2015
Picked up at the February 2015 Calgary BookCrossing Meeting at Cravings.

Journal Entry 4 by underasunnysky at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing this to the BookCrossing Calgary group meeting tomorrow at Cravings Market.

Journal Entry 5 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 15, 2015
Picked this up at November's Calgary meeting. We had 14 BookCrossers and a lot of books. Thanks, these meeting are so much fun and I always get such great books to read. Adding this one to my TBR shelves.

Journal Entry 6 by Crossing-Guard at Langdon, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 21, 2016
Awesome book, I loved this!!!!!! So glad that I currently have the sequel sitting on my shelf.

Journal Entry 7 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 21, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (4/9/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to April's meeting.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 12, 2016
Picked up at the April meeting!

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (5/14/2016 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the May meet up for the "Useful or Unusual books" theme! This is such a cool premise! I'm loving this series!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 10 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 14, 2016
Picked up today at the meetup. Enjoyed my quick visit and hope to be back soon.

Journal Entry 11 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016
An entertaining premise that characters leak out of books to wreak evil, and the weapons needed to protect you are just waiting for someone to remember which book contained the appropriate weapon. An enviable ability to have the memory to recall which page from a particular book has the weapon you need whilst the evil is busting down the front door....

Journal Entry 12 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (8/13/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary Bookcrossing Meetup today.

Journal Entry 13 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 13, 2016
Just returned from the August meet up at Cravings and have just about as many books as I brought. Looking forward to this series.

Journal Entry 14 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 11, 2018
This book sure caught me up quickly! People who can r3each into books and pull out what they need. Sure could use some of that healing elixir today after my oral surgery! Great characters and the action keeps you reading in every spare minute.

Journal Entry 15 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the July meetup at Cravings!

Journal Entry 16 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing July meet-up. How did I not know about this series? A libriomancer? Genius!

Journal Entry 17 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 07, 2018
I really enjoyed this book. The worldbuilding was well thought out and I love the idea of reaching into books to pull out objects. It also helps that Issac is a big sci-fi/fantasy nerd (the author gets bonus points for correctly spelling Doctor Who (it's not "Dr. Who")). I was reminded a bit of The Dresden Files since it's an urban setting with magic and both heroes have big long coats. My only gripe is Lena. It's great that she's this kick ass warrior dryad, but I didn't like that she needs to be paired with someone or else she dies or the fact that she can bring out lust in people. Also, that she develops some of her lover's traits and likes. Why can't she be her own person? Yes, she does show some individuality because of the circumstances at the end, but that's still not good enough. Anyway... I'll definitely keep reading the series, though.

Journal Entry 18 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (9/8/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on this book to the next reader at the Calgary BookCrossing September meet-up.

Journal Entry 19 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 15, 2018
picked up at the August meeting

Journal Entry 20 by claws-12 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
Creative series that celebrates imagination and science fiction/fantasy fiction - what's not to love?

Journal Entry 21 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, January 25, 2019
Late journal entry!

Picked this up at the January Calgary BookCrossing meetup. Didn't think I had my name in this one but it sounds like fun!