The Double Bind (Vintage Contemporaries)

by Chris Bohjalian | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 2/9/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, February 09, 2015
trade-size paperback.

from the back cover:
When Laurel Estabrook is attacked while riding her bicycle through Vermont's back roads, her life is forever changed. Formerly outgoing, Laurel withdraws into her photography, spending all her free time at a homeless shelter. There she meets Bobbie Crocker, a man with a history of mental illness and a box of photographs that he won't let anyone see. When Bobbie dies, Laurel discovers a deeply hidden secret - a story that leads her far from her old life, and into a cat-and-mouse game with pursuers who claim they want to save her.

Initially, I was intrigued by a story that would try to piece together a person's life through the photographs he carried around. The incorporation of characters and story from a classic novel began to bug me after a while, like it was a cheat of not coming up with your own original characters. And while I realized early on what a component of the ending would be, major sections of it fell apart for me.

Released 4 yrs ago (6/15/2015 UTC) at Little Free Library - Harrington Grove #13528 in Raleigh, North Carolina USA

You have found a traveling book. You may leave a journal entry (anonymously, if you wish) to let me know that you have found this book. Check back in later to let us know what you thought of the book and if you plan on passing it on or 'releasing it back into the wild'.