The Weight of Blood: A Novel

by Laura McHugh | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingjeniwrenwing of Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on 9/27/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingjeniwrenwing from Greigs Flat, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 27, 2015
For fans of Gillian Flynn and Daniel Woodrell, a dark, gripping debut novel of literary suspense about two mysterious disappearances, a generation apart, and the meaning of family-the sacrifices we make, the secrets we keep, and the lengths we will go to protect the ones we love.

The Dane family's roots tangle deep in the Ozark Mountain town of Henbane, but that doesn't keep sixteen-year-old Lucy Dane from being treated like an outsider. Folks still whisper about her mother, a bewitching young stranger who inspired local myths when she vanished years ago. When one of Lucy's few friends, slow-minded Cheri, is found murdered, Lucy feels haunted by the two lost girls-the mother she never knew and the friend she couldn't protect. Everything changes when Lucy stumbles across Cheri's necklace in an abandoned trailer and finds herself drawn into a search for answers. What Lucy discovers makes it impossible to ignore the suspicion cast on her own kin. More alarming, she suspects Cheri's death could be linked to her mother's disappearance, and the connection between the two puts Lucy at risk of losing everything. In a place where the bonds of blood weigh heavy, Lucy must decide where her allegiances lie.

Reserved for J4shaw for the Australasian wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Bayles, Victoria Australia on Thursday, November 26, 2015
Received this in the mail today thanks to the Australasian Wish List Tag Game .
Looks great, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this debut novel, its comes highly recommended.

Journal Entry 3 by wingJ4shawwing at Tauranga, Bay of Plenty New Zealand on Saturday, April 15, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (4/16/2017 UTC) at Tauranga, Bay of Plenty New Zealand

Headed over to NZ for the Easter break and had a heap of baggage allowance so brought this book over.
Released as part of my "big cull before the big move", as I've also got this in eBook format.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Monday, April 17, 2017
What a wonderful Easter surprise :)
Thank you J4shaw for dropping off a whole bag of great books........better than chocolate eggs!
Thank you for thinking of me and happy travels.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Sunday, January 28, 2018
A decent debut novel, if a little haphazard. The characters were interesting although there were quite a few of them, and with the perspective of the story jumping back and forth in time, it was sometimes a bit difficult to keep track of everyone. The tiny bucolic towns of the Ozarks don't seem to be the places to go to, when you want to change from city living to country - they don't sound as though they are too friendly towards strangers.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Congratulations on winning the Book, Tea and Chocolate Sweep :)
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, May 25, 2018
Thank you sooo much for a book that seems "my cup of tea" (pun intended, of course).
I will enjoy with some of the yummy-named tea you have sent along... :)