corner corner A Girl in Winter

A Girl in Winter
by Philip Larkin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jules5 of Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on 1/25/2015

status (set by daffodil-2): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by jules5 from Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Just love the front cover!! hoping to finish this on my train journey from Birmingham and pop it in a suitable place...

Journal Entry 2 by jules5 at Darlington, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, January 08, 2018

Well this was a bit of a downer...I really wanted to like Katherine..she was alone and friendless but so prickly was she, I found the bleakness fitting. Robin is a fop and an idiot and her relationship with him seems vapid. This seems all a bit negative, but it isn't..it just fits the period..sitting around, waiting for just something to just happen. It's a very clever book but also invokes sadness which belied the novelty of the gorgeous book cover

Journal Entry 3 by jules5 at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 08, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/8/2018 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Happier travels!!

Journal Entry 4 by jules5 at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/16/2018 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

�� happy reading 📚

Journal Entry 5 by wingdaffodil-2wing at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, January 18, 2018

Received in the post from Jules5 this morning as a RABCK along with another book (Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris). Thanks very much-you are very kind. Thanks also for the interesting postcard from India. I haven't read anything by this author although I've heard of him so will look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingdaffodil-2wing at North Walsham, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Review:- "I found Philip Larkin to be a very "wordy" writer, a little reminiscent of Thomas Hardy at times. I wasn't always sure what was going on within the story but I still had to keep on reading, The book didn't have a very satisfactory conclusion for me and I was left guessing about what happened in the middle."

I'm reserving the book for Snoopy56 as I'll be interested to see what she makes of it.