Celebrity Vampires

by Martin H. Greenberg | Horror |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 1/22/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, January 22, 2015
I got this fair-condition paperback during a recent book-buying binge at the local Savers thrift store, where between their buy-4-get-another-free offer and the fact that it was "senior citizen" day, I got a really good deal!

I've enjoyed many of Greenberg's anthologies, and this one, themed on celebrities who either are vampires or are being preyed on by them, looked like fun!

Later: An entertaining mix of stories here. Among my favorites:

"Traces of Red" by Max Allan Collins, features a lovely - and immortal - dancer who's working in the Catskills when she encounters a young man with promising talent. I felt rather pleased with myself at guessing which celebrity was involved in this one {wry grin}.

Peter Crowther's "Too Short a Death" deals with a man who's a fan of a poet who'd disappeared; he meets someone who claims to know something about the poet's fate... I liked this one both for its mix of love and horror, and for introducing me to the poet in question, whose work I'd been unfamiliar with.

"Sweet Dreams, Norma Jean" by Barbara Collins is a rather sweet but poignant tale in which Norma Jean finds out why a certain young man has been following her, and a certain vampire finds out that not everyone wants to live forever.

"Totally Tallulah" by Barbara Paul is one of the funniest stories in the collection, and stars Tallulah Bankhead and several of her friends, including Noel Coward. An ardent young man claims to be a fan of hers, and has a theatrical air and a tendency to purr about "spending eternity together" - but it turns out that her influence on him is stronger than his on her!

"The Swashbuckler and the Vampire" by Mike Baker is a rather sweet little story in which an aging movie idol (never named, but pretty clearly Douglas Fairbanks) gets involved in a surprising adventure with an interesting twist.

"Undead Origami" by Norman Partridge offers one rather dark explanation for the increasingly bizarre life of one Howard Hughes...

"Bloody Sam" by Gary A. Braunbeck is set in Mexico, during the filming of Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, with Sam Peckinpah and Warren Oates finding themselves having to battle a vampiric cult; this one's among the most tragic in the collection.

And one of my favorites: P. N. Elrod's "A Night at the (Horse) Opera," featuring his vampire/detective character Jack Fleming, who gets caught up in some crime-ring business when the gangsters target the man sitting next to Jack at a movie. The title of the story gives a pretty generous hint as to who we're dealing with here, and I found the whole thing quite entertaining!

Other celebrities include Nick Carraway from The Great Gatsby, Alexander Woollcott, Irene Adler from "A Scandal in Bohemia", Mark Twain, and - of course - Elvis (who appears in more than one story).

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 20, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (3/21/2015 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to the Vampire Bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, June 08, 2015
Picked from Emmejo's Vampire Bookbox. This looks like an interesting mix of vampire stories.

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2016
My Review: I have to admit that I skimmed this book, I only read completely two of the stories. My favorite story was the one by Barbara Collins "Sweet Dreams, Norma Jean". I've always liked Marilyn Monroe. This story was sweet and poignant. The only other story that I completed was "Traces of Red" by Max Allan Collins. I thought the celebrity was the vampire in this one, so I didn't have a clue who the celebrity was.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/23/2016 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Putting into Emmejo's Vampire Bookbox. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Sunday, July 03, 2016
This book rode to the end of the line in the Vampire Bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, August 25, 2017
This was an okay collection, and I enjoyed reading it, but there were fairly few stories that I was particularly impressed by. It was entertaining, but I can't see myself re-reading it. I was also a little annoyed by the repeated uses of some celebrities. It seems like it would have been sensible to limit a collection like this to one Elvis story! My favorites in the collection were:

"A Night at the (Horse) Opera" by P N Elrod is a short story featuring her vampire PI hero, Jack Fleming, and contains her usual cheery mix of violence, humor, and unexpected plot twists.

"Dracula on the Rocks" by Carole Nelson Douglas is a strong, entertaining opener with a fun main character and a vivid voice as it depicts backstage drama complicated by a bloodsucking admirer.

"Too Short a Death" by Peter Crowther is a melancholy little tale that stuck with me more than most of the rest.

"Bloody Sam" by Gary A Braunbeck takes a slightly different tactic in vampire legends, and creates one of the most action-packed of these stories.

Journal Entry 8 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 09, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (3/9/2018 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

One of the starting volumes in the Otherworldly (Shrinking) Bookbox

Journal Entry 9 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Removed from the "Otherworldly" bookbox.
Was very excited to find this one in the box as I had it on my wishlist!