The Wicker Man

Registered by book_drunkard of Osgood, Indiana USA on 1/21/2015
Journal Entry 1 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2015
A novelization of the Anthony Shaffer script, this is a tale of a Highlands policeman on the trail of a missing girl being lured to the remote Scottish island of Summerisle.
As May Day approaches shamanistic and erotic events erupt around him.
Was the girl a human sacrifice?

Journal Entry 2 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017
What a strange little book. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it ... it was just simply an ok read.
Must go to youtube and see if I can find the movie as I am curious as to whether it is better than the book was.

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard at Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/22/2018 UTC) at Bookbox, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Sending off on a journey in "The Otherworldly" bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 03, 2018
I'm claiming this from the Otherworldly bookbox. The book's a novelization - and expansion - on the 1973 film, co-written by the film's director and by the author of the original screenplay. (Apparently the film was inspired by a different book, David Pinner's Ritual.)

I remember how harrowing the film was when I first saw it, and it has held up well over the years. There's a moderately entertaining "companion piece", The Wicker Tree, which I also enjoyed. [I should also mention the 2006 remake of the original film, starring Nicolas Cage - not because it's a good movie, but because it's so amazingly bad that it has inspired a lot of jokes and internet memes.]

I noticed that my perceptions of the characters were skewed by the actors in the '73 film; Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle had charisma that Edward Woodward's Sgt. Howie couldn't match. If one reads this novel without having the actors from the '73 film in mind, the religious and philosophical debates can stand on their own feet a bit better - but even then, some aspects of the pagan beliefs are more attractive than the Christian ones, at least for me.

But it's certainly the case that, by the time we realize just what Howie's fate is to be - and, more horrifying to me, the fates of the many birds and animals that will join him - the price of this particular pagan society proves to be far too high...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the original film, with comments on the remake as well.]

Released 1 yr ago (5/6/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 214 Main St. in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library on this rainy day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***