Burial Rites

Registered by winglmn60wing of Spotswood, Victoria Australia on 1/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 17, 2015
This novel has received rave reviews and many awards... so I started it with high expectations... which were fully met! The plotline is absorbing - I had deliberately not read about the true story of Agnes Magnusdottir in order to avoid 'spoilers - but it is the quality of the writing that makes this one such a standout for me! I would often consciously stop reading at my usual breakneck speed in order to re-read a particular sentence - stunned by the beauty of the prose.
It's hard to believe that this was a debut novel - such was the strong characterisation, gripping storyline, and wonderful writing. My book of 2014!

From Publishers Weekly.....

'Kent's debut delves deep into Scandinavian history, not to mention matters of storytelling, guilt, and silence. Based on the true story of Agnes Magnúsdóttir, the novel is set in rural Iceland in 1829. Agnes is awaiting execution for the murder of her former employer and his friend, not in a prison—there are none in the area—but at a local family's farm. Jón Jónsson, the father, grudgingly accepts this thankless task as part of his responsibility as a regional official, but his wife and daughters' reactions range from silent resentment to outright fear. After settling in to the household, Agnes requests the company of a young priest, to whom she confesses parts of her story, while narrating the full tale only to the reader, who, like the priest, provide her with a final audience to her life's lonely narrative. The multilayered story paints sympathetic and complex portraits of Agnes, the Jónssons, and the young priest, whose motives for helping the convict are complicated. Kent smoothly incorporates her impressive research— for example, she opens many of the chapters with documents that come directly from archival sources—while giving life to these historical figures and suspense to their tales.'

Journal Entry 2 by winglmn60wing at www.bookobsessed.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/3/2015 UTC) at www.bookobsessed.com, A Book Swap! -- Controlled Releases

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, lmn60, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by GateGypsy at Ladysmith, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, February 21, 2015
I won this book in the Bookobsessed Best of 2014 swap (and a hard-fought battle it was!)

I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sending it out so quickly, lmn60!