Briar Rose

by Jane Yolen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingbooklady331wing of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 1/17/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingbooklady331wing from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, January 17, 2015
It's been on my shelf since 12/14/11. I thought that it was registered.

If you are new to BookCrossing and found this book and this site, Welcome!

Journal Entry 2 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, September 08, 2017
I love new slants on old fairytales. This book, sets "Sleeping Beauty" against the background of the Holocaust. Briar Rose is a historically sensitive retelling of Sleeping Beauty .
It incorporates family history, genealogy, and a most unusual hero prince.
Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories of Briar Rose. Becca would have sworn the stories were made up, but on her deathbed Gemma extracts from Becca a promise to fulfill three impossible requests: find the castle, find the prince, and find the spell-maker. Her vow sends Becca on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose.
Yolen's graceful retelling of the German folktale of “Briar Rose”―known to some as “Sleeping Beauty”―sets the story amid forests patrolled by the German army during World War II. Yolen confronts the deeply tragic events of the Holocaust with a tale of good and evil, hope and despair.

Released 1 mo ago (12/14/2019 UTC) at ——- wild released somewhere in Cape Coral ——- in Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! For What's in a Name Release Challenge 2019 -- ROSE