Ignorance

by Milan Kundera | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winggrovalskiiwing of Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on 1/10/2015
Journal Entry 1 by winggrovalskiiwing from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, January 10, 2015
from amazon.de:
Bypassing the question of whether you can ever go home again, Milan Kundera's Ignorance tackles instead what happens when you actually get there. Ignorance is the story of two Czechs who meet by chance while traveling back to their homeland after 20 years in exile. Irena, who fled the country in 1968 with her now-deceased husband Martin, returns to Prague only to find coldness and indifference on the part of her former friends. Josef, who emigrated after the Russian invasion, is back in Prague to fulfill a wish of his beloved late wife. As fate would have it, the two have met before in their former lives, and the before-skirted passionate encounter is now destined to transpire. However, as in the story of Odysseus, which this novel so deliberately parallels, every homecoming brings with it a conflicting set of emotions so powerful that one has to question whether the voyage is really worth the pain. Expertly tackling the philosophical and emotional themes of nostalgia, memory, love, loss, and endurance, Kundera continues to astound readers with his masterful ability to understand and articulate issues so central to the human condition.

Journal Entry 2 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, January 10, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/10/2015 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

I will enter this book for the Favorite Roundabout 2014. Maybe this is not my Nr. 1 book from 2014, but my Nr. 1 book (And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini) is too big/heavy to send on this roundabout. So I'm sending my Nr. 2 book. :-)

Hope you all enjoy it! Please give your honest opinion once you read the book!

Journal Entry 3 by bluezwuzl at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Monday, January 19, 2015
The book arrived some days ago as my first Favourite Roundabout 2014-book.
Thanks to grovalskii for sending it!
I have always had problems to relate to Kundera's characters - all those beautiful women forever suffering and pining away because they don't have Mr. Right in their life - which strikes me as something belonging to the 19th century rather than the 21st. And all those men expecting everyone should exactly know (andd act according to) all their needs... Sorry, definitely not my book.
And now its on its way to earthcaroleanne and, hopefolly, to many more new friends!

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 05, 2015
Arrived today helping to create another bookring backlog.

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2015
I hated this from page one but I kept on reading. The best I can say is that I didn't hate it as much at the end.

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (3/2/2015 UTC) at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom

On it's way in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 7 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 06, 2015
Received yesterday - some mixed reviews, so I look forward to giving it a go.

Journal Entry 8 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 24, 2015
This book is the perfect example of why I love and why I hate 'literature'! Every word is exquisite, chosen carefully and indulgently to create a wonderful flow and style. The characters are wonderfully written - normal and human and yet strange enough to warrant some interest. But nothing actually happens ... nothing. The characters don't really change or only minimally from start to finish - there is no real action, nothing moves the story along, and if it does, it's instantly diluted by another ramble in indulgent prose.

So, that leaves me slightly conflicted.

On the one hand, I can't say that I really enjoyed it - admired it rather, for its prose. But I did read to the end, which I don't do if I'm not enjoying a read. However, I don't think I could actually tell you what happened and what it was really about - other than the characters seemed confused about who they were and what they wanted, whether they revelled in or hated being emigrants, and that their attempts to change were thwarted by each other. I also have no idea where Gustaf's affair came from - that was just out right weird!

I think I need to read an all action thriller now to get out of this retrospective mood!

Released 4 yrs ago (3/28/2015 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to the next participant of the 'Favourites of 2014' Book Roundabout.

Journal Entry 10 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 30, 2015
This arrived today - thanks. I quite enjoy self-Indulgent literature so might be my thing! Looks like an interesting choice as it's clearly split opinions! Can't believe how quickly the books are coming round this year... I need to get reading!

Journal Entry 11 by sarahmangan at Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 16, 2015
I really enjoyed this. I liked the almost conversational style, the short chapters, the digressions, the weird bits - Milada and Joseph's relationship and Gustaf's fling at the end for example. I guess the real 'ignorance' in this book is a lack of self-awareness? About belonging / relationships etc... I think I its a book I need to think about for a little while having read it. Can anyone tell me what Joseph's stepdaughter is ringing for? That seems random.

An interesting choice - thanks for the recommendation. This will go in the post on Monday. :)

Journal Entry 12 by katrinat at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, June 14, 2015
I just picked this up to start reading and realised I hadn't posted to say I'd received it, I'm a bit wary of this one as I'm not all that keen on Milan Kundera. Hopefully I'll finish it buy the end of the week.

Journal Entry 13 by katrinat at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, June 14, 2015

Journal Entry 14 by Andrasthe at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Friday, July 24, 2015
got it

update (Aug. 5th):
The book begins with an excursion into ethymology and a brief journey into the topos and above all the outcome of the Odyssey. Then the characters are set upon the stage to act out the author's ideas. Little narrations are followed and sometimes interrupted by Kunderas musings, his thoughts on home, on identity and memory, on nostaligia and belonging. I especially liked the ideas on memory in connection with the (de)construction of self, the subjectivity and loss of a vast amount of memories and how we only "plaster the plausible over the forgotten".

This was my second Kundera and I enjoyed it very much. Some aspect of his writings always strikes a chord.

Journal Entry 15 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Arrived today! I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being 20 years ago and enjoyed it, but never read anything else by Kundera. Interested to see what I make of this one.

Journal Entry 16 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 12, 2015
It's hard to say exactly why I enjoyed this book. I like the writing style and I guess it just struck a chord. I suppose I'm an immigrant myself, although I was only 5 when we moved. So I recognised the feeling that it's never quite the same anymore when you go back. People have moved on, and so have you yourself. So yes, despite the odd digressions, I liked itt. Thank you for sharing, grovalskii!

Journal Entry 17 by wingFifnawing at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, October 12, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (10/12/2015 UTC) at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Travelling to marsala.

Journal Entry 18 by marsala at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, October 14, 2015
This book arrived safely yesterday. It's one I already read and I decided not to read it again. It will be send on with one of the other two books I still have here.

Journal Entry 19 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, November 04, 2015
Safely arrived.
In the queue. ;)

Thank you.

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 08, 2015
You don't have to move very far away to loose your belonging after a relatively short period of time.
What stays with me is what M. Kundera says about memories. I experience it often enough with family and friends and it's very disturbing.
We are all very lonely at the end.

Thank you for sharing anyway. I read it in English although it was written in French in the first place but in this case it doesn't matter I think.

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (12/8/2015 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On it's way to Lilyklip in Germany.

Journal Entry 22 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, December 20, 2015
Cool. I've wanted to read another Milan Kundera for ages - the one I've read being The Unbearable Lightness of Being which I loved (and the film is great too). Really looking forward to this one.

Thanks, I enjoyed this. I really liked how the characters were all linked but not aware of it. Will have to pick up more books from him.

Journal Entry 23 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, January 24, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (1/24/2016 UTC) at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany

And back to Grovalskii.

Journal Entry 24 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, February 03, 2016
The book completed its journey in the roundabout. Thank you everybody for posting your opinions!