The Echo Maker

by Richard Powers | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 1/9/2015
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, January 09, 2015
National Book Award tale of a brother and sister, a crane refuge worker, an ex-husband, a famous neurologist, a (fill in a few more blanks), all brought together by a car acident when Mark suffer a rare effect called Capgras syndrome. Mark wakes up, recognizes his life, but it is slightly off. Convinced that certain people and things (including his dog) have been replaced by alien replicas, programmed by some unknown power to mimic the 'real' people and things he has lost.

An interesting concept, and calls many assumptions into question anbout what does living your life embedded in a web of relations really mean. I can't say I liked this book, but it surely did make me think.

Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put in the Medicine Chest V Bookbox.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 18, 2015
Taken from quietorchid's Medicine Chest V box with thanks.

I think there was an episode of Criminal Minds featuring someone with this ailment; it seemed like a horrible thing.

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, February 01, 2019
This one has been hanging around waiting to be read for quite a while; I think it's time to let it go.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Assaggio Bistro Kahala in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, February 04, 2019

Released 9 mos ago (2/4/2019 UTC) at Assaggio Bistro Kahala in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Sunday, February 03, 2019: themed release left in the ladies' room of the restaurant - a place that might have echoes! :p

(Larger photo here.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Please take a moment to make a journal entry and let this book's previous readers know that it's safe with you.

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!