My Year Off: Recovering Life After a Stroke

by Robert Mccrum | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by quietorchid of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 1/8/2015
Journal Entry 1 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, January 08, 2015
At 42, McCrum suffered a devastating stroke. In an instant, his new marriage (of 2 months) and his career as an editor was changed forever. But after recovering for a year, he moved on.

I found this a little self-centered and glib. I am glad he reports self-pity was never an issue or even present for him; I disagree. I did find it interesting that he included some of his wife's journal entries (a reporter)during his account of his recovery. Also interesting for an American, was to see how the Haves in England get their health care. Very well, thank you. And can be a little miffed when they are forced to put up with the chaotic, crowded, and unacceptable facilities for a few days that the regular people must use. Ah, well, at least he was able to spend several moths at a private hospital after his first 3 chaotic Public days, and then several more months at a rehabilitation hospital with it's own manor grounds. Irony, unintended, is not wanting.

Still, with the addition of his wife's journals, he never goes too far down the road of pity, and it is interesting to see the intersection between a proper Tosh and his American wife as they navigated the private health system of England.

Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put in the Medicine Chest V Bookbox.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Last year I read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, so I am curious to pick this up. I don't suppose it's as poignant as The Diving Bell, but will give it a try.