Nerilka's Story

by Anne McCaffrey | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 12/31/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, December 31, 2014
My sister passed this book on to me. The storyline sounds familiar but I couldn't find it in my list of books read so I am going to register it.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 05, 2019
There are so many books about Pern that I have never read all of them and this is one that escaped my notice until now. It is set in the time period when a deadly plague swept through Pern and killed people, dragons and other beasts. Quite a few of both Anne and her son Todd's books have dealt with aspects of this time but it is good to get another view of it.

Nerilka is one of the many daughters of Lord Holder Holocamp of the Fort Hold. While her parents and three of her sisters go off to a Gathering at Ruatha Hold Nerilka is made to stay home. The plague strikes the people at the Gathering and Nerilka's mother and her sisters die. Her father, breaking the quarantine, flies home but sequesters himself in his room issuing orders to Nerilka and her brother Campen. One of his orders is to stop giving medicines to the Healers even though they have ample in their stores. Nerilka, already upset that Holocamp has brought his mistress into the hold, decides to leave and go to the nearby internment camp to help the sick. She is not afraid that she will get sick herself since she was one of the people who got immunized by the vaccine made from people and beasts who had survived the plague. When the internment camp is opened up Nerilka goes off with supplies for other habitations. She ends up in Ruatha where she helps with mass production of the vaccine but she has disguised her identity so she will not be known as a lady. The Lord Holder of Ruatha, Alessan, was married to her best friend Suriana but she died before the plague in a riding accident. It is time for Alessan to marry again and sire children to carry on but he is so depressed by the events, including the death of Moreta whom he loved, that he just wants to die. Nerilka convinces him to live at least long enough to sire children and he agrees marrying her.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 19, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (1/19/2019 UTC) at Second Cup – Graham & Edmonton in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I am taking this book to the Winnipeg BookCrossers Dead of Winter meetup. If no-one claims it then it will be left on the OBCZ shelf.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 19, 2019
Picked this up from our January dead-of-winter bookcrossing meeting. Thanks gypsysmom.