Анна Каренина

by Толстой, Лев | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingBoekentrolwing of Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on 12/28/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, December 28, 2014
Synopsis:
"Анна Каренина, один из самых знаменитых романов Льва Толстого, начинается ставшей афоризмом фразой:
Все счастливые семьи похожи друг на друга, каждая несчастливая семья несчастлива по-своему.
Это книга о вечных ценностях: о любви, о вере, о семье, о человеческом достоинстве."

Journal Entry 2 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, May 14, 2020
I'm reading this for a buddy read and we're about to start discussing part I and II. I'm already reading part VII, so I'm way ahead, but thus far I am not inclined to throw it about, or stop reading.

What I like about the book is the way the people, situations and the environment (both nature and political) are described. Having said that.... Sometimes it gets too much, when the subject is AGAIN the peasants, or Anna AGAIN gets a fit when Vronsky leaves her to go to.... (not important where).

I must admit, that I've switched to the English audiobook. I've read the first two parts in Russian, things went well and at quite a reasonable pace. But... when I also want to do something simultaneously (household chores, embroidery etc.) I can't hold a book.
--------------------------------------------------------
And now I've finished reading. And fel a bit... what shal I call it..... empty, dispappointed, not sure how to describe it.
My general liking of the book hasn't changed, but... And it's quite a large but. The reasons for that are multiple.
First of all, the book is too much a soap story for my liking. A sort of Dynasty in the 19th century.
Then the title: Anna is one of the characters in the book, most certainly, but why name the book after her, when her role is not much bigger than for example Kitty's?
The political and economical discourses are sometimes too long. They may be interesting, but not really for me, not at this point. For the buddyread of this book we had Oprah's list of questions and they guided me a bit, but they also made me feel like reading the book as 'homework'.
And last: I knew what would happen to Anna at the end when I started out reading the book. During university years we read bits and peaces of this book, matching the lectures that were given. But after reading the whole of the book, leading up to that point, I couldn't help myself but ask 'Why, in heaven's name, why?'
And the story continuing afterward (not Vronsky, but the story), like nothing really happened, gossip etc., but it felt to me like going back to business as usual.

Well, another ticked off of the 1001-list! On to another (one by Tolstoy again)?