corner corner Japan Took the J.A.P. Out of Me

Japan Took the J.A.P. Out of Me
by Lisa F Cook | Travel
Registered by wingStaxmanwing of Seattle, Washington USA on 12/23/2014

status (set by Ashtoash): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingStaxmanwing from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, December 23, 2014

For release.

Journal Entry 2 by wingStaxmanwing at Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (12/24/2014 UTC) at Seattle, Washington USA

Mailed to another BookCrosser.

Journal Entry 3 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, March 19, 2015

I must have forgotten to journal this after I picked it up from my parent's place - I'm so sorry!

I finished reading it today and it was an interesting memoir and there were a couple of genuinely funny culture shock moments and a couple of touching moments in her teaching. It didn't really resonate with my own experiences too often though, since I had a good grasp of Japanese before I went and more realistic expectations of what my life would be like. I appreciate that the title does set the expectations since she is a self proclaimed J.A.P - Jewish American Princess and boy did she have some spoilt princess antics that got in the way of her cultural integration.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the timeline is here since she turns 30 in Japan, it was published in 2009 and her husband is described as being a marine in the 70's. And I have a little nit-picky thing to point out -in two places in the book she says Japan doesn't have an army, which just isn't true! It's used for self defense only but it is a large, well funded military nonetheless!

Journal Entry 4 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (4/11/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the April Identity meeting.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 5 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Wasn't quite sure if I was going to like this book or not, since my impressions from others was that she might have a bit of an insufferable attitude, but on a whole she wasn't that bad and I found it interesting to read about her experiences. At first I wondered why you would decide to just up and move to somewhere without doing any research on where you were going (some things she found surprising could have been easily expected had she done a bit of reading beforehand), but then it became obvious when she explained that if she ever thought too hard about something she'd end up hesitating or talking herself out of it - so instead she just jumps into things instead of missing out on experiences. Also, she wasn't a complete princess as the title would suggest - she had no problem with chores and hard work, she just didn't have experience with somethings which is fine. The only real thing that felt a little unbalanced with me is that she only gave examples of when she really messed up in their marriage - not that she presented her husband as perfect, but mostly she just focused on how much of a screw up she could be which made me wonder if the screw ups really were that one-sided, or what.

Thanks for the interesting read.

Journal Entry 7 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together!

Journal Entry 8 by Ashtoash at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, July 17, 2018

To be read

Journal Entry 9 by Ashtoash at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2018

To be read