Hoshin Engi, Vol. 6

by Ryu Fujisaki | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/5/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015
I came across this good-condition softcover on the used-manga shelves at Harrisons Comics in Hudson NH. It's a series I hadn't dipped into before, so we'll see how I like it.

Later: I found Bunchu, the handsome guy on the cover, the most interesting character here. We see him in the present day, a powerful lord trying to protect his beloved empire from the demon Dakki, demonic wife of King Chu. And we get some flashbacks - 300-year-old flashbacks - to when he lost his friend and possible love-interest to the then-king. She bore a son, and when she was dying she asked Bunchu to care for him; he did so, and has continued to protect the ruler and the empire for the next several generations.

But he's not the hero of the story {wry grin}. That would be young Taikobo, who lost his clan to Dakki's depredations. He and his allies wind up doing a lot of fighting in this volume - when they aren't indulging in comic-relief squabbling. I wasn't able to get a good sense of their story-so-far within the context of this volume, but "big battle, very important" seems to sum it up.

The artwork's decent, especially the full-page scene of Bunchu appearing atop a mountain peak against the full moon - really spectacular. I also liked the scene of Dakki breaking into noblewoman-laughter at having successfully (or so she thinks) pitted Bunchu and Taikobo against each other - a clever technique for disposing of her enemies, if it works...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. The 1999 anime series could be worth checking out.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/6/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book in the manga/graphic novel bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Monday, May 13, 2019
since this was a few books into the series, I didn't enjoy it as much as I might have if I had been reading earlier volumes. I had a hard time keeping characters separated. However, the artwork in this was good. Thanks for sharing this volume with me.

I'm setting this aside to release next weekend at ACEN.

Journal Entry 5 by wingnimrodielwing at Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois USA on Saturday, May 18, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (5/18/2019 UTC) at Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois USA

Left on a table outside the washrooms by the snack bar in the Entertainment Hall.