Hoshin Engi, Vol. 6

by Ryu Fujisaki | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/5/2015
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015
I came across this good-condition softcover on the used-manga shelves at Harrisons Comics in Hudson NH. It's a series I hadn't dipped into before, so we'll see how I like it.

Later: I found Bunchu, the handsome guy on the cover, the most interesting character here. We see him in the present day, a powerful lord trying to protect his beloved empire from the demon Dakki, demonic wife of King Chu. And we get some flashbacks - 300-year-old flashbacks - to when he lost his friend and possible love-interest to the then-king. She bore a son, and when she was dying she asked Bunchu to care for him; he did so, and has continued to protect the ruler and the empire for the next several generations.

But he's not the hero of the story {wry grin}. That would be young Taikobo, who lost his clan to Dakki's depredations. He and his allies wind up doing a lot of fighting in this volume - when they aren't indulging in comic-relief squabbling. I wasn't able to get a good sense of their story-so-far within the context of this volume, but "big battle, very important" seems to sum it up.

The artwork's decent, especially the full-page scene of Bunchu appearing atop a mountain peak against the full moon - really spectacular. I also liked the scene of Dakki breaking into noblewoman-laughter at having successfully (or so she thinks) pitted Bunchu and Taikobo against each other - a clever technique for disposing of her enemies, if it works...

[There's a TV Tropes page on the series. The 1999 anime series could be worth checking out.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/6/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm putting this book in the manga/graphic novel bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017
This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.