Anansi Boys

by Neil Gaiman | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 12/20/2014
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, December 20, 2014
(different cover)

I only found out recently that this occupies the same mythical world as American Gods, if not a sequel. I'm a big Gaimain fan, how did I not know this! Situation remedied, this 50p from a charity shop in Felixstowe.

(2/11/15) First things first, this is not really the same as American Gods, although it does explore the relationship between humans and our deities, in this case ancient animal Gods and the original songs and stories that form the weave and weft of nature. There is also a very ‘thin veil’ between life and death (see The Graveyard Book) and a more pragmatic plot involving accounting fraud.

Includes slight spoilers

‘Fat’ Charlie is ordinary, not special or one of life’s over-achievers, that is until his estranged father, the Spider King, dies! We then meet many gods, ghosts, Charlie’s brother Spider, and some great characters floating somewhere between myth and reality. There is a real-world sub-plot involving the brilliant psychotic cliche-wielding Grahame Coats (Charlie's boss), a Shakespearian mix-up, a nightmare mother-in-law, and in the end a family reconciliation and happy-ever-afters (for most). As always with Gaiman it's quite brilliant and magical, you just have to suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Wyevale Garden Centre in Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, November 06, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (11/6/2015 UTC) at Wyevale Garden Centre in Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom

I left this on one of the tables in the window at the back of the cafe.

If you find this, welcome to bookcrossing. Please enjoy this book, make a journal entry and pass on, 'release' back into the wild or to a friend. Thank you :) Tony/BookGroupMan