Communion : The Female Search for Love

by bell hooks | Nonfiction |
Registered by MizzSmile of San Jose, California USA on 1/30/2004
Journal Entry 1 by MizzSmile from San Jose, California USA on Friday, January 30, 2004
Book selected to facilitate a love ethic study group discussion.

Journal Entry 2 by MizzSmile from San Jose, California USA on Monday, March 15, 2004
8th Book Read in 2004: The first few chapters were hard to read because it evoked such raw/personalized emotions and I had to set it down for a while. Once I continued reading, hope, inspiration, and knowledge replaced the "unsettling" emotions. Integrating her own personal experiences, citing other writings (feminists and mainstream), and referring to examples of pop culture, she does a wonderful job of educating the reader that love (self, family, friends, romantic) and personal power (independence, economic) do not have to be mutually exclusive...which is in direct contrast of what has been ingrained in our patriarchial society.

Journal Entry 3 by MizzSmile at --Controlled Release in Santa Clara, California USA on Thursday, May 13, 2004
Released on Thursday, May 13, 2004 at Released to another BookCrosser in Santa Clara, California USA.

Mailed to ukbrat in Ontario, Canada as part of a trade.

Journal Entry 4 by ukbrat from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 19, 2004
I am looking forward to reading this book! Thanks for the trade mizzsmile!

Journal Entry 5 by ukbrat from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 26, 2005
As always, Bell Hooks is a brilliant writer. As MizzSmile said it evokes such a personal response. I found that it not only challenged my ideas about what love is but also reaffirmed that love is more than just an emotion shared between two people. bell hooks also demonstrates that like so many other raw emotions, society has created ideals of what it is and what it isn't; and any deviations are often frowned upon.
This book definately made it's way to me at an appropriate time. I think that when defining any relationship that I have, I will always keep some of the messages from this book in the back of my mind.
This book should be read by all. Even if you do not consider yourself a feminist, reading this book will open your eyes to another perspective on one of an important concept to all of us.