Unaccustomed Earth (Vintage Contemporaries)

by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjlautnerwing of Henderson, Nevada USA on 12/7/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Sunday, December 07, 2014
Removed from the Little Free Library on Maple Street in Arroyo Grande, Ca today.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, February 12, 2015
I wish I had written this soon after I finished it. I remember bits and pieces now but not the overall story. For it is a story, told in small stories, in short stories. Each of the eight stories features the same characters, not always from the same point of view.

The main character comes from an Indian family, Bengali, but grew up in the United States. When she visits India it is usually not with any excitement. She is perhaps too American to love it. We are treated to different places and times, not chronological and it doesn't matter, in Ruma's life. We dip into the lives of others in her family.

I remember being absorbed by it all yet I remember not enough. I liked it, I liked that the writing is straightforward and yet beautiful.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing at Multigenerational Center in Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (4/21/2015 UTC) at Multigenerational Center in Henderson, Nevada USA

On a table in the vending area. In celebration of International Bookcrossing Day a sticker was placed inside.