Lamb to the Slaughter and Other Stories (Penguin 60s)

by Roald Dahl | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 12/5/2014
Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, December 05, 2014
Purchased at a Friends of the Library booksale to read and release. Penguin 60's are such a great little size - fun!

I love Dahl's work for children; I haven't read too much of his stuff for adults so I'll have to read this before passing it on.

Other Penguin 60s titles on my BC shelf:

To Build a Fire by Jack London
The Wife of Bath by Geoffrey Chaucer
Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Youth by Joseph Conrad

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, December 12, 2014
5 stories in this collection:

٭ Parson's Pleasure
٭ A Piece of Cake
٭ Lamb to the Slaughter
٭ The Bookseller
٭ The Butler

I know I'd read the first one before (apparently Dahl really had a thing about the name Boggis, as one of the villains in Fantastic Mr. Fox also has that name); I'm fairly sure I'd also read Mary Maloney's little adventure.

The pretend parson certainly gets his comeuppance, but as someone who worked at a historic house museum for many years, the ending makes me cringe. On the other hand, "The Bookseller" finished with my favorite ending of the bunch.

Also: I love the description of Mr Buggage.

He was squat, paunchy, bald and flaccid, and so far as his face was concerned, one could only make a guess at what it looked like because not much of it was visible to the eye. The major part of it was covered over by an immense thicket of black, bushy, slightly curly hair, a fashion, one fears, that is all too common these days, a foolish practice and incidentally a rather dirty habit. Why so many males wish to conceal their facial characteristics is beyond the comprehension of us ordinary mortals. One must presume that if it were possible for these people also to grow hair all over their noses and cheeks and eyes, then they would do so, ending up with no visible face at all but only an obscene and rather gamey ball of hair. The only possible conclusion one can arrive at when looking at one of these bearded males is that the vegetation is a kind of smoke-screen and is cultivated in order to conceal something unsightly or unsavoury.

Not that Dahl had an opinion on facial hair or anything... :p

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, December 12, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (12/12/2014 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed out as a wishlist tag - enjoy! Released for my D for December challenge.

Since you like little books for geocaching, I'm sending you a couple of tag-alongs that might work too. :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, December 18, 2014
The package arrived safely today - and made very good time, especially considering it's holiday-mailing season! Thanks so much for the wishlist-tag book; I can never have enough of these marvelous mini-classics, and this one's among my favorites, all of the stories in Dahl's signature induce-unease style.

While "Lamb to the Slaughter" is my favorite tale here - and is a perfect gem of crime/horror/psychological-suspense - the other stories are fun too. "Parson's Pleasure" is about an unscrupulous antique dealer; the story could be an antiquer's nightmare or a jolly tale of fitting retribution. "A Piece of Cake" deals with fighter pilots - I read it before in Over to You - and is very poignant. "The Bookseller" is set in a used-book store, but deals with people who've taken the bookstore idea and spun it into a lucrative con-artist business; luckily, they make a key mistake... And "The Butler" focuses on fine wines, and the difference between those who actually appreciate them and those who simply want the status; very satisfying resolution to this one!

[The TV Tropes page for the author may be of interest.]

Released 4 yrs ago (1/3/2015 UTC) at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA

I dropped this little book in the Double Feature geocache, on a trail near the tantalizing abandoned town site of Monson. Hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***