The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

by Louise Penny | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/1/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 01, 2014
I've been enjoying Penny's "Three Pines" series very much indeed, and was glad to find this good-condition hardcover of the eighth book in the series at a local Savers thrift shop.

I first read this via a library copy, so I could find out what happens to poor Jean-Guy after the events of A Trick of the Light - and at first things looked lovely, but then evil, vicious, nasty, manipulative Francoeur shows up, and knows just what buttons to push to hurt Gamache in the worst way possible. Why is Penny so mean to her characters??? [Lovely story, though - and with barely a mention of any of the Three Pines folk, replacing the art-appreciation subplots with music-appreciation in a remote monastery that's dedicated to its plainsong and other chants.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at W. Pearl St. (see notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 08, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (12/8/2014 UTC) at W. Pearl St. (see notes for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on a bench in the mural-ornamented walkway between W. Hollis and Garden St. at around noon; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2014 What's In A Name release challenge, for the embedded "Beau" in the title. ***

Update: Thanks so much to the finder who journaled the book! I was delighted to find that it made your day - even though I was not the person you saw; I'd left the scene before anyone showed an interest in the book. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 08, 2014
Found this book sitting on a bench tucked away on a side street off of Main Street @ around 12:15 PM. At first, I thought it was just lost and forgotten, and I'm absolutely the type of person whose first thought when it caught my eye was, "I wonder if anyone would miss that if I decided to take it." So I walked a little closer and I realized it was sealed in a plastic baggie, which seemed a little too planned out to be merely happenstance, seeing as it was just then beginning to snow a bit. That piqued my interest even more. When I read the little note attached, I have to say, it absolutely made my day. It made me so incredibly happy for no real reason. At first I was overjoyed that my strange love for collecting lost and forgotten things didn't feel so wrong as it often does, because somebody WANTED me to take it this time. And being an avid reader myself, that was quickly followed by a realization of how seemingly perfect it was that I happened to be the one who found it. It was too perfect for me to pass up. I tucked it into my bag without stopping to look what it was about or even if I'd like it. I knew I had to read it either way. I'm excited to jump in and find out what it has in store for me. Then I'll be taking it on Christmas vacation with me and leaving it in an airport for the next person to decide where it goes after that.

P.S. As a small side note. I believe I may have seen whoever left this book as I was sitting down to examine my discovery. I can't be sure, but she seemed to be giving me a knowing smile as she passed by. After checking all this out, I noticed that only ten or fifteen minutes must have passed between her leaving it and my discovering it so I thought I'd throw this in. If it was her (and even if it wasn't, I could be entirely wrong), I just want to say thank you and Happy Holidays! You have successfully pulled the least jolly girl in Nashua out of her annual holidaze and into the spirit everyone else seems to come by so naturally.