Ask the Dust

by John Fante | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 5/25/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, May 25, 2004
We are clearing our shelves at home and all parties concerned have agreed that this book is welcome to join the world of bookcrossing in the hopes of finding a new home.

We have figured out by a bookmark and receipt from Left Bank Books in St Louis (pictured above), that I must ahve bought this book while in college. But I do not remember reading it . I have a vague recollection of buying it, but heaven only knows why. I looked it up on the internet and found the following:
Gale Research
Ask the Dust sold only a few copies when first published, partly because its publisher, Stackpole, was involved in expensive litigation that year and could not afford to give the book a proper advertising budget. But Ask the Dust was the Fante book "around which a cult has formed," as Warga explained. And Pleasants noted that "Carey McWilliams, Charles Bukowski and [Robert] Towne think it one of the greatest novels published in America." The book's cult popularity led in 1980 to its reprinting by Black Sparrow Press, an event which finally brought it to the attention of a much larger audience. Fante was happy with the acclaim his book belatedly received. "What pleases me most," he told Warga, "is to be hearing from so many people and to know the damn thing has stood up to the test of time."

Christopher Tayler - London Review of Books
Hyperbole aside, both of Fante's early novels are excellent—especially Ask the Dust, which does indeed make good on at least some of the comparisons of Fante [writers such as] Dostoevsky, Kunt Hamsun, Hemingway, Thomas Wolfe, Steinbeck, William Saroyan and Nathanial West...Ask the Dust is often praised as the great Los Angeles novel, but its interests in more than parochial.

I shall put it in my famed TBR pile and then make it available to anyone who would like it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, March 07, 2005
REceived the following PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello bookczuk,

Hi there! I've just recently gotten hooked on this book crossing thing and
was thrilled to see "Ask the Dust" by John Fante listed as available on
your bookshelf! Check out my bookshelf and let me know if you are
interested in any of the books. Like I said, I've just gotten started on
here, and I'm a book fiend, so I'll be updating and adding books regularly!

Thanks and take care,
Horibelle

HAve replied that I will contact when I've read the book to see if Horibelle (great name, eh?) is still interested.

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 11, 2018
This book has survived two purges, and it's now time to let it travel.

Released 1 yr ago (10/11/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - MUSC Medical Garden in Charleston, South Carolina USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader. The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a heck of a lot of fun. Be on the lookout for other books left in the "Wild"!

If you find yourself liking BookCrossing, there may be local BookCrossers who meet regularly in your area. Come join us! I've been a BookCrosser since 2003 and have found books left by others, discovered new authors to read, watched my books travel all over the world, and discovered a delightful group of readers online through BookCrossing.

Released 1 yr ago (11/3/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library - Not So Hostel on Spring in Charleston, South Carolina USA

To the finder of this book: