Fever

by Mary Beth Keane | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingFlorence71wing of Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on 11/21/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingFlorence71wing from Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Friday, November 21, 2014
Well-documented true story. Good first novel ! Proposed to a bookcrosser from Iceland who have this title on his wish-list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFlorence71wing at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (11/25/2014 UTC) at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland

Book on the wish-list of an iceland bookcrosser : I'm glad to send it to. On his way to Reyjavik. Happy reading !

Journal Entry 3 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Monday, December 01, 2014
Arrived today, thanks so much for sending me a wishlist book!!!! So nice of you! I really look forward to read it :)

Journal Entry 4 by Bjorg at Reykjavík, Reykjavík (Höfuðborgar svæðið) Iceland on Wednesday, December 17, 2014
A really interesting book based on true events. Very strange the way Mary was singled out and put away and not other healthy carriers of typhoid. Thanks again florence71 for sending me this book :)

Journal Entry 5 by Bjorg at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (3/18/2015 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

A birthday surprise for bookworm-lady through the birthday group :) hope you will enjoy this wishlist book!!

Journal Entry 6 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, May 09, 2015
Thank you soo much for sending me this Birthday Group present, and making this wish come true.
This looks really interesting, and I'm sure I will enjoy it! :)

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, October 15, 2020
Reserved for dutch-book in the WishList Tag Game,

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, November 26, 2020
Currently reading it. :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, December 11, 2020
I really enjoyed reading this novel, based on actual facts.
The writer takes the story of Mary Mallon, nicknamed "Typhoid Mary", who unintentionally infected many people with typhoid fever through her work as a cook. A rather unfortunate life, which she spent mostly in isolation, unlike other identified carriers of the disease, mostly male.
The writer includes a love story which might not be close to real facts, but anyway beautifully written and feasible.
I was impressed to learn that people did not wash their hands regularly in those days, as they were not aware of germs; Mary is described as licking the spoon while mixing the ingredients, putting her finger into meals... No wonder people died so young back then. But this also highlights that Ms Mallon was a victim of the times she lived through, and of people who did not know how to deal with her.
This is an impressive first novel; Ms Keane had two babies during the writing process. I will look for more novels by her.
Thanks for sharing, Bjorg; the book will soon continue its travels to its next reader. :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, December 21, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (12/21/2020 UTC) at Madrid, Madrid Spain

Sent today to dutch-book; I tagged her with it.
Merry Christmas, and enjoy!! :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingdutch-bookwing at Heerenveen, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, December 31, 2020
It arrived yesterday. Thank you so much for sending this book. I'm quite looking forward to it.