Death Is Like a Box of Chocolates (A Chocolate Covered Mystery)

by Kathy Aarons | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by buffyfan of Rochester, New York USA on 11/19/2014
Journal Entry 1 by buffyfan from Rochester, New York USA on Wednesday, November 19, 2014
I really wanted to like this, but this fell really falt.

The plot is that Michelle runs a candy shop and someone is killed, in her store, and her chocolates were used. Michelle and her friends want to get to the bottom of it.

This books has a lot of problems in it. The biggest is that the author tried way too hard. She tried super hard to be like the Stephanie Plum series, and this isn't even close to that. The characters were another problem. For me, they were very one demential and had no depth to them. I had a hard time keeping them straight. It didn't help that two of the characters names started with the same first letter. That's a major no-no. I also felt there was a lack of cohesion to it. Everything just seemed to be thrown together. A lot of stuff happens, and it doesn't go at an even flow. I never felt a connection to the characters. When it comes to cozy mysteries that involves food, I like it when they have recipes. This one did, but it had the feeling of an after thought. There were a lot of candies mentioned, and I'd love to have had those recipes, and not the ones that were put in. I also thought it was so over the top that everyone has their own pet name for the cat.

This is just a mess. I couldn't even finish it. I skimmed to the end, to see who the killer was, and their motives....and it was such a major let down.

Normally, I'd say to get it at the library, but don't even get it there. Skip it.

Journal Entry 2 by buffyfan at Rochester, New York USA on Wednesday, November 19, 2014
If you want in the book ray, let me know. Also let me know if you ship in or out of the USA. If you live outside the USA, I can't promise it will be shipped to you, but I will try to find someone to do so. If you say you want to be in on the ray, and I don't reply to you, send me a PM.

Journal Entry 3 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, March 21, 2015
I must apologize. I received this quite some time ago and thought I had journaled

I am enjoying the book so far.

Journal Entry 4 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, October 05, 2015
So I finished this a long time ago and loaned to my sister. I got it back from her the other day.

Journal Entry 5 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, October 19, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (10/15/2015 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

Sent out as a RABCK

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, October 20, 2015
Thanks so much for the RABCK! It looks interesting.

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, October 24, 2015
My Review: I liked this one enough to finish it, but it felt really choppy. Maybe too much editing? It was cute and entertaining, but mediocre at best. Not sure if I would seek out more in this series.

Saved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, January 15, 2016
This book is reserved for: Bookstogive's Mystery/Thriller VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (3/23/2016 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Minesayn from a VBB. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 10 by wingminesaynwing at Huron, Ohio USA on Monday, March 28, 2016
Received in the mail today. Thanks JennyC1230 for the book. I look forward to reading it. Chocolate and mysteries, what a sweet combo.