The Anatomist: A True Story of Gray's Anatomy

by bill hayes | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 1934137219 Global Overview for this book
Registered by brewsdr of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 11/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by brewsdr from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2014
[A pre-numbered label was used to register this book. No additional comment provided.]

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Given to me by a friend for Bookcrossing.

I enjoyed this. Hayes becomes interested in finding the man behind Gray's anatomy, and doesn't succeed. That's okay, it takes him to dissection classes, London streets, and archives in quite a few places. What he does find is an enjoyment of the search, a lot of cool anatomical facts, and the little known doctor/artist who collaborated on Gray's Anatomy: H.V. Carter.

Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 14, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Put in the Medicine Chest V Bookbox.

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Picked up from the book box. I have been wanting to read this one. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, September 26, 2019
In all honesty, I find anatomy scary rather than fascinating. The idea of dissection is enough to turn me away from considering medicine as a career choice. However, being from a culture that eats everything, I find that I have a much better idea of how the inner parts of our body look (and taste) like, lol.

The book also reminds me of those exhibitions that were all the rage a few years ago, displays of dissected bodies. Of course, I never did go.

This book is a fascinating detective work into the lives of Gray and Carter, the author and illustrator of Gray's Anatomy. I admire Hayes's hard work - just trying to read Carter's diary is daunting task already. The book does end on a sad note, as we find out why so few of Gray's belongings and writings were left behind, and as Hayes's personal life took an unexpected turn.