Brothel: Mustang Ranch and Its Women

by Alexa Albert | Nonfiction |
Registered by brewsdr of Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on 11/18/2014
Journal Entry 1 by brewsdr from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, December 26, 2014
[A pre-numbered label was used to register this book. No additional comment provided.]

Journal Entry 2 by quietorchid from Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, December 26, 2014
Given to me by a friend for Bookcrossing.
Interesting book. The author tried for years to set up a condom use study (use is mandated by law)at the Mustang Ranch. They finally agreed, and she developed a relationship with the workers at the ranch. She is honest about her preconceptions of prostitution, her feelings about the nature of sex work. But she was surprised to discover that these were people, with families, bills, mortgages.

The Mustang ranch was eventually closed for tax evasion and racketeering, and its workers dispersed. Interesting book that deserves a read. If we will always have prostitution among us, how do you ensure workers safety? A book to make you start thinking.
Fly far little book!

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, January 15, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (1/14/2015 UTC) at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

This was slated to go out in the Medicine Chest Bookbox V. I had a meet-up with JudySlump612, the originator of the Medicine Chest Bookbox series, and she choose this and AmbulanCe Girl before adding a few books to the box. Thanks for the sharing! (and the idea of the Medicine Chest!)

Journal Entry 4 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, January 15, 2015
Taken from quietorchid's Medicine Chest bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by JudySlump612 at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Monday, October 23, 2017
Prostitution: what do you think? Passing laws against it doesn't seem to have reduced the demand in the slightest, and where there's a strong demand, a supply will be found.

So I sort of liked the second chapter, where Albert walks us through the intake process. Given the traficking and enslavement of young girls, I can see the good side of women of legal age freely entering into employment in which the terms are set up front. I can also see that in preference to walking the streets in all kinds of weather, it's an advantage for a woman to have her own accommodation, with meals and laundry service, and security only minutes away.

Then I went on to chapter 3, about pimps. Wherever there is a woman earning money, there will be a man around to separate it from her. Okay, that's hard. But Albert starts off with family members. A husband! A mother! Forcing the women into a job they did not want, and imposing a quota they had to earn before they were "allowed" to return home. How could it be possible to maintain a family relationship in that situation??

An argument often made for legal prostitution is that it's a 'safety valve' which reduces rape. That doesn't seem to be the case, in Nevada, at least, where the rate of rape is significantly higher than the national average. Albert points out that the special quality of Nevada tourists affects this, and I agree. But I also think that the concept of sex as a commodity available for purchase leads to the concept of sex as a commodity available for theft.

The parts of the book dealing with legalizing brothels, and legislation affecting them, were quite interesting and informative. At the close of the book (published in 2001), the Mustang Ranch was being closed by the IRS, in a judgment against an owner who had fled to Brazil to evade racketeering charges. According to Wikipedia, it was re-opened in 2005. That history would be an interesting book too.

Journal Entry 6 by JudySlump612 at on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (10/23/2017 UTC) at

In the mail to kangaroo for the non-fiction sweepstakes.

Journal Entry 7 by kangaroo at Barnet, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 30, 2017
Looks superbly interesting. Thank you for sending this all the way over to the other side of the pond!