Absolution

by Caro Ramsay | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingPlum-crazywing of Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 11/14/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 14, 2014
Another book crossed off my wishlist courtesy of a charity shop ;o)

Journal Entry 2 by wingPlum-crazywing at Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 12, 2014
It's been twenty years since Police Detective Alan McAlpine has set foot in Patrickhill Station-and more than twenty years since he fell forever in love with the mute, faceless woman he called Anna as she lay dying in Glasgow's Western Infirmary. Daily, he'd watched over her, and they had begun to communicate with each other, she by moving her wounded fingers. Her fingers could not tell the sad, unseasoned police cadet her name, however, or name for him the father of her newborn baby girl or identify the assailants who had flung the acid in her once incomparably beautiful face. Or tell him how she'd smuggled a cache of uncut diamonds into Scotland.

Now McAlpine is back in Patrickhill, where he's been summoned to head up the investigation of a disturbing murder case. Two women-their arms outstretched, their legs together and feet crossed at the ankle-have already died at the hands of a man the press has tagged the Crucifixion Killer. More gruesomely, the third victim will also have been violently disfigured when her body turns up in Whistler's Lane, coincidentally (perhaps) the scene of an equally brutal murder four years earlier.

The face of another woman, though-a strikingly beautiful young woman, blonde-has taken hold of McAlpine's consciousness, and soon the consequences of a case cold for two decades are commanding-and dangerously thwarting-the course of his team's current, already desperate investigation.

As crimes in the present intersect with iniquities committed in the past, the mystery in this steely, piercing, psychological thriller is as gripping as its twists are surprising. And absolution proves to be extreme.

This was just my sort of thing, gripping & gritty but then having read & enjoyed "Singing to the Dead" I knew I would like it - though I was delighted to find that this book was by far the better of the two. The opening chapters regarding Anna's tale hooked me in from the start & I found it a compelling read. Later in the story though I found some parts a bit disjointed, in fact I had to re-read one passage a few time, & one or two of the storylines that I expected to keep cropping up seemed just to disappear into thin air without to my mind, a satisfactory conclusion -Helen's reaction to, shall we call it McAlpine's night away, being a prime example.

I still had a bit of a shock at the end because I had forgotten certain things about the follow up (don't think that's too much of a spoiler is it?) Will be adding the next instalment to my wishlist.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPlum-crazywing at Crime/Thriller Bookbox (under 2kg), Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 16, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (1/16/2015 UTC) at Crime/Thriller Bookbox (under 2kg), Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 4 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 16, 2015
Chosen from the bookbox - have to admit to being a little bit swayed by the graveyard cover photo!

Journal Entry 5 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2018
Hmmm - finished reading this and feel a sense of relief that I managed to slog it out to the end. While the story was intriguing, it wasn't exactly that unique and I didn't find it too difficult to work out was going on. The ending was good, in that it was a bit of a twist, but to me it was the writing that seriously let this book down. Disjointed and occasionally made no sense whatsoever - and our 'heroes' on the police force aren't exactly the most likeable. While I'm all for characters being 'human', I think most of these would have been sacked long before this case landed in their laps!

Back to the writing and this is an example of one of the sentences that makes you pause and go 'Huh?'
"He opened his arms, laid her head on his shoulder, and began to cry."

There's also another one, which I can't find to quote exactly, that goes something like. "At the top of the stairs was a bathroom, or at least a small room with a toilet, sink and a bath."

Huh?

That said, I did read to the end, which shows it was some what entertaining. And even though I'd pretty much worked out was going on, it was kind of interesting to see how long it took the police to reach the same conclusions!

Journal Entry 6 by dark-draco at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (12/18/2018 UTC) at RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Here’s a special box of goodies from one booklover to another. I hope you enjoy reading your books and enjoying the Christmas candy.
HAVE A GREAT FESTIVE SEASON

Journal Entry 7 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 25, 2018
Thank you for this unexpected RABCK.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCross-patchwing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2019
Being read.

Released 3 mos ago (2/12/2019 UTC) at -- Leicester City Centre in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Leaving at mini-meet lunch

Journal Entry 10 by raeliz64 at Leicester General Hospital in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (2/14/2019 UTC) at Leicester General Hospital in Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Left on the charity book table in Outpatients 2.