Peeps

by Scott Westerfeld | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/9/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, November 09, 2014
I got this fair-condition softcover at Toadstool Books in Milford NH. I first read this book a few years back, and enjoyed it very much, so I was glad to find another release copy.

I found this book very enjoyable, and often surprising. The story itself went in directions I didn't expect, with some scary bits and some funny bits to leaven the mix, and the alternating-chapter format intersperses info about real-world parasites whose behavior is similar to that of some of the critters in the fictional portion. And I was delighted with the author's version of the how and why of vampirism; it's probably not the first book to theorize a medical basis for vampirism, but it took a delightfully unexpected twist on the idea. (It explains a lot of things about cats, too!) Side note: the book's been published as Parasite Positive in other countries, so don't assume it's a new book in the series.

I also enjoyed the semi-sequel The Last Days, which is set in the same world but focuses on a different set of characters.

There's a bibliography at the end of the book, which enticed me into picking up two of the books listed there, Parasite Rex and Rats. [It would have been three, but I'd already read another, Bitten!] Oh, and there's a very amusing cartoon/review of Peeps on the wonderful "Unshelved" comic-strip site (see the review here). This Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strip deals with the parasite/behavior cycle in a funny/gory way...

There's a brief TV Tropes page for the book, but do beware of spoilers.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, November 17, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/17/2014 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to KateKintail's YA bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2014
Took from the YA bookbox. I've read this book several times and enjoyed it. I'm taking this copy to see if I can get my little brother to read it. If not, it will travel.

Journal Entry 4 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Thursday, July 02, 2015
My brother read about half of this book, and was very fond of all the scientific bits about parasites! Apparently he was interested enough to talk to his teacher about the book and she asked to borrow it. Later on it was neglected in favor of the Saga comic series, and I don't think he'll finish it now that school is over, so I'm going to let it travel on to its next reader.

I read this book not that long ago, and my review is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/12209500/

Journal Entry 5 by wingemmejowing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, March 11, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/11/2016 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

This book is one of the starting novels in the newest round of The Vampire Bookbox

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2016
Taking out of Emmejo's Vampire Bookbox. I haven't read anything by this author, but it looks like an interesting story.

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, July 08, 2016
My Review: This is a really great teen vampire book. I've read a lot of vampire boooks and Peeps was so different that I had to keep reading to see what happens to Cal. I admit that I skimmed a lot of the purely parasite chapters, it started making me nauseous. :-S

I checked out the next book to see how the series ends. It looks like The Last Days is focusing on some new characters, but hopefully it will be as interesting as Peeps.

Journal Entry 8 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, February 02, 2017
Giving this book to Tempestsans, for reading, wild releasing or other book sharing purposes.