A Separate Peace

by John Knowles | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 10/31/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, October 31, 2014
Picked up at the Book Thing of Baltimore.

This is one of my absolute favorite books ever. It's a story of a group of boys at a boarding school set during World War II. The main characters, Finny and Gene(the narrator), are a mis-matched pair of friends able to feed off each other and push each other as they struggle to cope with events unfolding in their lives and the world around them. The story is deep and dark but is not without amusing moments, vivid images, and wonderful characters I instantly fell in love with.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Friday, October 31, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (10/31/2014 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Releasing this in my YA Bookbox in hopes that it will find a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 15, 2014
I've read this before, so I'm leaving this book in the box for someone else, but wanted to add my comments. (I was tempted to take it to release at nearby Exeter, home of Phillips Exeter Academy, which was Knowles' school and the inspiration for Devon, but decided the Exeter folks are probably very tired of references to the book {wry grin}.)

It's a good thing I didn't read this in high school, when it was on ALL the suggested-reading lists; at the time I didn't really know how to appreciate characters whose behavior I didn't like or understand, who made choices I'd never have made. Reading it as an adult, I found it interesting, though I also found myself wondering how many people Gene's age spent as much effort trying to interpret the thoughts and motives of others as Gene did - I never second-guessed my friends that way; but perhaps I'm just not that socially oriented!

The ramifications of adolescence, a momentary impulse, guilt, fear, accident... Small actions have consequences, but no matter how thoroughly we know that, it can't prevent those momentary lapses, and can have far-reaching effects.

[There's a 2004 TV-movie adaptation and a 1972 film. And there's a short TV Tropes page on the novel with some interesting tidbits.]

Journal Entry 4 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, December 11, 2014
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the YA Bookbox!

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Taken from KateKintail's YA Bookbox with thanks.

Not sure I've ever actually read this, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Other copies on my shelf:

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/15/2015 UTC) at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

To be released somewhere in/around the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall during the Great Aloha Run Health & Fitness Expo; released for msrubble's 2015 movie challenge.

(Larger photo here.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!