The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials

by Philip Pullman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 10/31/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, October 31, 2014
Bought this at a library used book sale.

I earread a copy of this in 2007 and had this to say:
I absolutely loved it! Lyra is a fantastic, sympathetic & strong character, and how could you not love Iorek and Pan? More importantly, it's an incredible world that Pullman creates. I was expecting a complete fantasy and, instead, got a mix of our world and the fantastical that kept me on the edge of my seat, wondering every second what was what and what was coming next! An incredible adventure with mystery and action but a nice, moderate pace which allows you to really take in the beauty of it all. I can't wait to read the other books in this series!

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Friday, October 31, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (10/31/2014 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Releasing this in my YA Bookbox in hopes that it will find a new reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, December 11, 2014
I read this back in 2009 and wrote the following:

When I went to AllEars to return the CDs, the surprised clerk asked "You aren't checking out the next book?" No, I wasn't.

The story of The Golden Compass well-written, and it has some extremely creative ideas. The villains are great - Mrs. Coulter and Lord Azrael constantly seemed to be switching sides - and Pullman did a great job world-building. So why didn't I like it? Part of the problem seems to be Lyra. She's whiny, and her voice actor (the audio CD was created with a cast of actors, not a single narrator) really got on my nerves after a while.

Hmmm. The story was OK, but I never really found myself invested in it. I wonder if it's because of the vague anti-organized-religion/Christianity vibe. It didn't dominate the story, as I feared it would, but it was still critical of vast religious organizations and maybe it unsettled me. At any rate, I'm not sure I thought the book was worthy of all the praise, awards, and hype that has surrounded it.

This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the YA Bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Taken from KateKintail's YA Bookbox with thanks.

I read this a while back, so it will be traveling soon.

Other copies on my shelf:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4091071 (audio)

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, February 13, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Blaisdell Center in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

To be released somewhere in/around the Blaisdell Exhibition Hall during the Great Aloha Run Health & Fitness Expo.

Released for msrubble's 2015 movie challenge and awaywithfairies's 2015 Heads Shoulders Knees and Toes Challenge; this sometimes controversial book is also being released in the name of free speech and freedom of expression, and in memory of the victims of the attack on Charlie Hebdo.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!