The Legend of Nightfall [Bookring]

by Mickey Zucker Reichert | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingadrienne10wing of Seattle, Washington USA on 1/26/2004
Journal Entry 1 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Monday, January 26, 2004
The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert is one of her few stand alone books. Reichert mostly writes in series, but her single novel has no short comings.

The Legend of Nightfall is a poem from which a stanza begins each chapter. The poem is based on the assassin and thief, Nightfall. Nightfall has many
aliases and only two people know all of Nightfall's identities, his true love, Kelryn, and his best friend, Dyfrin.

Caught by the king of Alyndar, King Rikard, Nightfall bargains for his life. He regains the name he was born with, Sudian, and he enters into an agreement that is sealed by magic. The agreement is that Nightfall will act as a squire and bodyguard to King Rikard's son, Prince Edward, also called Ned. Nightfall must also get Ned landed within 5 months. Finally, Nightfall must agree that all previous persona are dead, never to be resurrected, especially Nightfall. If he fails in any of these tasks, he will die and his soul will be bound to the sorceror, Gilleran.

Nightfall sets out on a duel quest of landing Ned and keeping him alive, and seeking out and destroying his betrayer. Along the way, Nightfall and Ned battle sorcerers and people with birth skills.

This 496 page book is a wonderful, a bit predictable, tale of an amazing man. Why did I like this novel? It had a unique premise and didn't read like many fantasy novels do. Basically, it was different than most fantasy. The book is quite suspenseful, keeping you wondering what will happen next.

Other novels by Reichert I suggest are her Renshai novels: The Last of the Renshai Trilogy and the Chronicles.

To read an article that includes a review of The Legend of Nightfall by Jacqueline Lichtenberg, go to www.lightworks.com. Select the link to Connections, then the link to "Intimate Action."

Journal Entry 2 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Friday, March 26, 2004
Bookring Information/Removed after the book returned home.

Journal Entry 3 by wingadrienne10wing at USPS in -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, March 29, 2004
Release planned for Tuesday, March 30, 2004 at USPS in Bookring, postal release USA.

Going to Eucalia for the first reader in this bookring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Eucalia from Issaquah, Washington USA on Sunday, April 04, 2004
When I got home this evening this book was waiting for me in the mailbox. I can't wait to start reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by Eucalia from Issaquah, Washington USA on Friday, April 09, 2004
I finished reading this book this morning. Here's my official review:

I'm not sure why I chose to read this book--I'd never heard of this book before or even of the author--but it is from a genre that I generally enjoy.

This story is set in a made-up bronze-age land fairly typical of fantasy novels. Magic is uncommon but not unheard of. Nightfall is a man who has earned his living through thievery and murder--slyness, disguise, and a touch of magic his only allies. He has built himself a reputation equal to the legendary demon who's name he bears. His life is great until he is betrayed and winds up bound to the king's youngest son as his loyal squire.

While not perfect, this book was a lot of fun. It was action-packed and very fast-paced. What I liked best about this book was that although the setting was unoriginal, it had several fresh ideas that I'd never read anything similar to. My only real complaint about the book was that occasionally it seemed as though the author would start on an idea and then get bored with it and wrap it up too quickly, before it felt natural to do so. Over all I would recommend this book and I'm looking forward to reading more from this same author.

Journal Entry 6 by Eucalia at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 09, 2004
Released on Friday, April 09, 2004 at sent to bookcrosser in Mailed, Bookring Controlled Releases.

I mailed this book to MollyGrue this morning. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by MollyGrue from Tacoma, Washington USA on Thursday, April 15, 2004
Picked this up in the mail from Eucalia as part of the bookring. Unfortunately, a couple days before I was re-stacking books in my library and came upon this particular title. So instead of holding it up and putting it in my TBR I will go ahead and send it out to the next person in the ring.

Journal Entry 8 by MollyGrue at -- By Post or Hand, Ray/ring, Rabck in Tacoma, Washington USA on Friday, April 16, 2004
Released on Friday, April 16, 2004 at USPS in Tacoma, Washington USA.

Mailed to Snowmyst. Happy reading!

DCN is 03032460000097229274.

Journal Entry 9 by snowmyst from Romney, West Virginia USA on Sunday, May 02, 2004
I received this in the mail last week. I started it while I was waiting in line. I can't wait to finish.

Journal Entry 10 by snowmyst at on Saturday, May 22, 2004
Released on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at bookring controlled release in Romney, West Virginia Controlled Releases.

Its on its way to poweslave.

I loved it. I've seen it before at bookstores, but hadn't picked it up. I wasn't disappointed.

Journal Entry 11 by powerslave on Sunday, July 18, 2004
Just arrived by mail.

Journal Entry 12 by powerslave on Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Here it is. I'll read it as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 13 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 06, 2005
Received in the post - a nice surprise, as I was expecting a book I'd ordered for someone else! I'm sure I'll love this one; I thoroughly enjoyed The Last of the Renshai, and no book that Adrienne has sent on a ring has ever failed to enthrall. Cheers, m'dear!

Journal Entry 14 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, September 10, 2005
I love this book! On some levels it is a bit simplistic, but it is a great fun read, and a definite page-turner. The action speeds up towards the end - which is suddenly reached, so I would advise you to slow down for the last few pages, rather than suffer cold turkey!
I would like to see some more stories set in this world, but with different protagonists - perhaps Magebane?

Going to Tehuti today.

Journal Entry 15 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 16, 2005
Ah, another ring from adrienne10 - Hooray! I loved what I read from her previous rings so know this book is a pleasure to anticipate.

Journal Entry 16 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 09, 2006
I did enjoy this book a lot. Although I read much fantasy, I have never read anything by this author before. I liked the polarities operating between Nightfall and Edward, as well as between the previous and current personae of Nightfall. The book is very funny in places; I laughed out loud at the spade episode. It is also very fast-paced and takes place in a coherent fantasy world.

Journal Entry 17 by tehuti from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 27, 2006
Posted to kert01 today

Journal Entry 18 by kert01 on Sunday, February 19, 2006
This has arrived OK here in Hampshire. I've read a book previously with this title, but it's not the same one! Even better...

Will read shortly...

Journal Entry 19 by kert01 on Wednesday, October 04, 2006
I'm sorry I thought I was waiting for an address on this one, and it appears I didn't quite get that far! I read this whilst on holiday in March in Florida, so it's well travelled... sorry to have held it up, I will get it off as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 20 by kert01 on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
I have PM'd kayayoun twice for this book. I will try again, and if I still get no reply then I will skip her and get the book off to adrienne10.

Journal Entry 21 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
the book is here, though i am pretty sure that i did answer kert01's pms and asked to be skipped from the ring! :) (i usually even let the ring owner know if i am want to skipped from a ring!!) well the book is here and i will let adrienne10 know!!! sometimes a book just comes to your doorstep no matter how much you are trying to cut down on rings and rays!!

Journal Entry 22 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
sorry, sorry, totally forgot to journal. the book is on it's way back to adrienne10 and mailed two weeks ago (or more?). i hope (touch wood!) that it would get there in a day or two (if not today :)) as the other books mailed at the same time have also reached their destinations (and that was what prompted me to check and see and then i found out that i had forgot to journal the travel!!) thanks!!

Journal Entry 23 by wingadrienne10wing from Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Arrived home safely yesterday, despite a yucky winter storm here. Thanks to everyone who participated in this ring. It is always so exciting for books to make it around the world and arrive home.

Journal Entry 24 by wingadrienne10wing at Magus Books in Seattle, Washington USA on Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/27/2011 UTC) at Magus Books in Seattle, Washington USA

Welcome to bookcrossing!

This book is released as a part of a reduction of my book collection.

Journal Entry 25 by wingadrienne10wing at Mercer Island Thrift Store in Mercer Island, Washington USA on Friday, November 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/11/2011 UTC) at Mercer Island Thrift Store in Mercer Island, Washington USA

Donating to the Thrift Store.

Enjoy!