Forgive and Forget: Healing the Hurts We Don't Deserve

by Lewis B. Smedes | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Decatur, Georgia USA on 10/23/2014
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Decatur, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 23, 2014
I read this a long time ago and found it extremely helpful for the personal hurts I needed to leave behind. Lewis Smedes offers wonderful psychological advice using examples of people who have forgiven the unforgivable. Forgiveness comes when you forgive the wrong-doer without endorsing the wrong. The difficult forgiveness work of Candy Lightner of Mother's Against Drunk Driving is cited here. When her son was killed by a drunk driver, Lightner was devastated. She fought to make drunk driving a crime. Though she could not bring back her son, she saved many other lives.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Friday, April 26, 2024
Forgiveness, I've found, is a basic human need. I have been intending to re-read this book for eight years now. It's a sign of health I guess that I haven't.

As April is poetry month, I'll release this book with a sad poem attached. Perhaps writing out this vivid poem helped the poet Roethke move past his father's betrayal. No doubt the poem has helped many readers:

My Papa's Waltz
Theodore Roethke
1908 –1963

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother’s countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that held my wrist
Was battered on one knuckle;
At every step you missed
My right ear scraped a buckle.

You beat time on my head
With a palm caked hard by dirt,
Then waltzed me off to bed
Still clinging to your shirt.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at LFL - Starfire Dr (1958) #20502 in Atlanta, Georgia USA on Saturday, April 27, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/28/2024 UTC) at LFL - Starfire Dr (1958) #20502 in Atlanta, Georgia USA

This a gift from BookCrossing, a random community of book lovers. If you'd like to join the BookCrossing story of this book, please make a journal entry at our site with the BCID (bookcrossing ID) on the bookplate. BookCrossing is free to join and confidential. You don't have to join to comment. Add your experience to this book.