How I Live Now

by Meg Rosoff | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by a-macpherson of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 10/19/2014
Journal Entry 1 by a-macpherson from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2014
Good book, with some interesting ideas. I did't think I would like it as much when i was reading the first couple of chapters, but I got more into it as it went on.

Journal Entry 2 by a-macpherson at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (10/19/2014 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Releasing at the Sunday meet-up, in Hemma Bar, Edinburgh

Journal Entry 3 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 19, 2014
Picked up at meetup - thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 15, 2014
How I live Now by Meg Rosoff - Good (better than expected)

When I picked this up, I didn't realise it was a Young Adult book, but was persuaded by my fellow book worms to give it a go anyway.

Daisy is a young American visiting cousins in England when a war breaks out. They are left to their own devices as the adults are away from home when it starts and can't get back. How they cope and how the war affects them are almost covered. The book is split into two sections and to be honest, either the author couldn't work out how to get from A to B or thought it would be too long, but there's a big jump between the two sections. Regardless I would characterise it as grown up Enid Blyton... five kids and a couple of dogs have an adventure. OK, EB wouldn't have had anerexia, smoking and underage sex as themes, but the rest is very much 'how kids can cope perfectly well, maybe even better, without adults'.

One thing I didn't like and which made it obvious that it was a children's book is the writing. Random Capital Letters for no Good Reason and a distinct lack of punctuation, it read like a teenager speaks. Totally infuriating.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassandra2020wing at Hemma in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 15, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/16/2014 UTC) at Hemma in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

I plan ‘releasing’ this book at the next Edinburgh Bookcrossing Meet-up. The Edinburgh BookCrossing meetings are held every 1st Thursday evening & 3rd Sunday afternoon of the month - we’re currently hosted by Hemma Bar, 75 Holyrood Rd, Edinburgh, EH8 8AU

Journal Entry 6 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 16, 2014
Loved this and have passed a number of copies of this book through my BookCrossing hands. thought of a reader for this so picked this up for travelling come Christmas.

12/03/2016 - EDITED TO ADD: Originally planned for a Christmas 2015, BookCrossing surprise RABCK, a family accident intervened and the parcel was instead posted close to Valentine’s Day in February 2016. How I Live Now travelled in a parcel of four slim volumes comprising;

~ STOLEN by LUCY CHRISTOPHER
~ THE RED MAGICIAN by LISA GOLDSTEIN
~ THE THIRTEENTH MEMBER by MOLLIE HUNTER

Hoping Bookcrosser Haugtussa you find some intrigued readers to get well and truly gripped by these books, kind regards rainbow3.

Journal Entry 7 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, February 21, 2016
This looks interesting. It might be serendipity, as I am doing some work with my students about WWII & evacuees!

Journal Entry 8 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Saturday, August 27, 2016
Interesting read, but I couldn't get completely into it, mainly because I didn't like the main protagonist; Daisy! Piper, however, I did like her. As previous readers have mentioned, the story jumps from the first part to the second, and this seems quite unbelievable. Anyways, an intersting read.

Journal Entry 9 by wingHaugtussawing at Mostun in Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, December 16, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (12/16/2018 UTC) at Mostun in Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway

Velkommen til BookCrossing!

Takk for at du fant boka.
Vær vennlig å skriv en kommentar på www.bookcrossing.com, så får vi vite hva som har skjedd med boka.
Du kan være anonym om du vil eller enda kjekkere: bli medlem (det er gratis).
Om du leser boka så kan du skrive hva du synes om den.
Om du slipper den fri igjen så fortell gjerne om det også.
Om du blir medlem så kan du få email som forteller hva som skjer med boka i fremtiden - spennende!

Er det noe du lurer på så sende gjerne et PM (personal message) til meg, Haugtussa, og spør.
Lykke til som bokkrysser.