The Potty Mouth at the Table

by Laurie Notaro | Humor |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 10/2/2014
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, October 02, 2014
Book Description

Pinterest. Foodies. Anne Frank’s underwear. New York Times bestselling author Laurie Notaro—rightfully hailed as “the funniest writer in the solar system” (The Miami Herald)—spares nothing and no one, least of all herself, in this uproarious new collection of essays on rudeness. With the sardonic, self-deprecating wit that makes us all feel a little better about ourselves for identifying with her, Laurie explores her recent misadventures and explains why it’s not her who is nuts, it’s them (and okay, sometimes it’s her too).

Whether confessing that her obsession with buying fabric has reached junior hoarder status or mistaking a friend’s heinous tattoo as temporary, Laurie puts her unique spin—sometimes bizarre, always entertaining—on the many perils of modern living in a mannerless society. From shuddering at the graphic Harry Potter erotica conjured up at a writer’s group to lamenting the sudden ubiquity of quinoa (“It looks like larvae no matter how you cook it”), The Potty Mouth at the Table is whip-smart, unpredictable, and hilarious. In other words, irresistibly Laurie.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, October 04, 2014
My Review: I loved this book! Some of the chapters weren't so great, but the ones that were great made up for that! I wonder if she moved in with her mom for a month if that would give her enough humor fodder for another book? Probably yes.

My Favorite Quotes:
"But frankly, I don't see a problem with the word 'hobo', nor do I understand why some people think it's derogatory. I believe 'hobo' to have a genteel, jaunty connotation to it; I believe it to be a jocular reference to someone who might have fallen on hard times but is making the very best go of it."

Regarding Yelpers: "I also don't know what someone who has reviewed a gas station expects from a gas station. I expect gas and to hopefully not die in a sudden explosion. If those two things happen, that's a winning experience for me."

Reserved for Bio/Humor VBB.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, May 28, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (5/29/2015 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Adding to Waternixie’s Wrap it Up Bookbox.

First line: " 'Turn that off!' I yelled to my husband from my office as soon as I heard the old-timey music broadcast from the television."

Journal Entry 4 by waternixie at Everett, Washington USA on Saturday, August 15, 2015
From the wrap-it-up. I decided to hang onto this one, since I often like this kind of curmudgeonly, Fran Leibowitz-type of humor.

I also really liked the Edward Hopper label.