Sad Truth About Happiness

by Anne Giardini | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0002005948 Global Overview for this book
Registered by chuckacraft of Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on 7/2/2016
Journal Entry 1 by chuckacraft from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Saturday, July 02, 2016
I really enjoyed reading this book. It gave me a lot of inspiration and insights about life!

Happy bookcrossing reading!

I would love to hear from you what you thought about this novel!

Journal Entry 2 by chuckacraft at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 02, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (7/2/2016 UTC) at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Enjoy this great book!

Journal Entry 3 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 02, 2016
Picked up at this afternoon's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Strange book. Parts of it I enjoyed, but overall it felt a bit disjointed, like the author wasn't sure what genre she wanted to write in, so kept skipping between them. There wasn't a lot of narrative logic flowing between the different sections, either.

And (especially in the opening chapters) such long and convoluted sentences - it felt like reading Dickens! (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in this case it just added to the feeling of incoherence, as the style didn't always match the content).

And I've just realised, the initial set-up, over the life expectancy quiz, is never really resolved. It's kind of implied (sort of spoiler, but you could probably guess this much :-)) that she understands happiness now so will live a long life, but there's no sense of connecting back to the beginning of the narrative.

Ok, this is a very negative-sounding review. It wasn't actually that bad - like I said, I enjoyed parts of the book, it's just the novel as a whole that didn't work for me.

v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, September 26, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (9/17/2016 UTC) at Coffee Club Hagley Park in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Left on the book exchange shelf after our September meetup.

Happy bookcrossing to the finder!

Want to meet other Bookcrossers? A small but active group of Christchurch Bookcrossers meet once a month for lunch and to exchange books. If you'd like to join us, check out the Conventions and Meetings Forum for details.